Flower wine recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gathergood

Reaction score
My wife and I are trying to make wine from maypop, or passion flower pods. My wife remembers seeing a recipe in a book by Eule Gibbons years ago, but we can't find the book. Vines in our yard provide lots of pods. Does anyone have a recipe for Maypop wine? Send communications directly to
[email protected]

We'd rather have responses here, as that is the point of a forum. If everybody posted only questions, and got emailed responses, there wouldn't be a forum. We can all learn by seeing others' techniques and recipes, as well as get ideas from those responses.

Welcome to HBT! :mug:

Halloween is coming soon so I'm ressurecting this dead and buried thread to see if anyone else has anything to add .
I have jack Kellers recipe for passion fruit wine but southern maypops are a bit different. He called for cutting the fruit up but I believe the recipe is for purple passion fruit. Anyone familiar with maypops knows that there's not much to them when you tear 'em open ... can't think that the skins are bringing much to the party.
Anyway I've got 4 gallon bags of maypops so far ... vine is still producing, If ya'll have any recipe's or thoughts to share before I dive into making wine from my harvest feel free to chime in. Thanks , Rich

Halloween is coming soon so I'm ressurecting this dead and buried thread to see if anyone else has anything to add .
I have jack Kellers recipe for passion fruit wine but southern maypops are a bit different. He called for cutting the fruit up but I believe the recipe is for purple passion fruit. Anyone familiar with maypops knows that there's not much to them when you tear 'em open ... can't think that the skins are bringing much to the party.
Anyway I've got 4 gallon bags of maypops so far ... vine is still producing, If ya'll have any recipe's or thoughts to share before I dive into making wine from my harvest feel free to chime in. Thanks , Rich
I know this is very late but if you're thinking of doing more Maypop wine I wonder if you could use the skins? If not put in your fermenting container you could muddle the skins a bit and boil them as if you were making Maypop jam/jelly. Adding maypop water instead of plain water might give it a boost

I made Mead with the Maypops instead of wine ... I did use the skins , but it was straight into the fermentor with the Honey ... no boiling . To be honest I was disappointed in the flavor ... kinda like grapefruit ... which surprised the hell out of me . Let most of this years Maypops rot on the ground .
Welcome to HBT by the way . :bigmug:

Back