Flavor impact of citric acid in mash with alkalinity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staylow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing a dunkelweisse tomorrow. Looking at my notes from the last one I did, roughly a year ago, it says "3.22 grams citric acid", but no other explanation. I have zero recollection of adding it to that beer, but it came out mighty tasty, but certainly didn't seem tart or citrusy at all.

I am assuming I used citric acid in place of lactic acid due to being out at the time, but I really don't remember if it was actually added or not. I may have decided to just roll with a slightly higher pH, which was 5.55.

So, set up out of the way, my question is would using citric acid have a flavor impact with the following water profile:

50 calcium
0 magnesium
19 sodium
51 sulfate
51 choride
50 bicarbonate

I need to take better notes.

The supporter's version of Bru'n Water includes an assessment of acid anion contribution and comparison with published taste thresholds. Citric is in there.

Given your somewhat low alkalinity, its possible that this citric acid addition was below its flavor threshold. In addition, the citric flavor may still be an asset in that beer.

Back