fizzy kombucha?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mendozer

Reaction score
i used to brew up kombucha in college but not in a while. Pretty sure my SCOBYs are still good in the fridge.

I want to make some with yerba mate. I'm wondering if anyone has kegged it to maintain a giid amount of carbonation. I was restarted on this thought when I had a sparkling Guayaki pomegranate yerba mate drink at lunch today.

Thoughts?

If not kegged, than how are people bottling it to remain fizzy and not explode?

Stovetop pasteurization?

I've loved Mate ever since I first discovered it in Argentina. There is a grapefruit mate that was awesome! Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it since I came back to the States.

Love to see how it turns out, if you give it a try.

I do booch with mate occasionally, very different finish from black tea booch. Never kegged, bottled in 16oz ez cap bottles for secondary ferm for at least 48 hours, then in the fridge till it's requested to drink. Usually takes about 5 minutes to open a bottle slowly enough to not lose half of it in the explosion.

No need to pasteurize or refrigerate unless you like it sweeter than terminal gravity. just prime to your desired co2 level and store at room temp.
If sweet is your thing, It's easy enough to add a splash of juice or 'sweet of choice' to the glass, when pouring out of bottle. Booch is not something for pasteurizing, keep it live!

There is a guy who sells kombucha out of a keg at the farmer's market here in town. He has been doing it for years now when I asked him about it he said it worked great.

guess i need to start taking gravity of my booch batches. I just have been making it and calling it a day.

What residual sugar (or FG) should I have it at to bottle to remain carbonated?

Also for a chai flavored booch, do you recommend spices during (or before with premade tea) fermentation or after

Back