First wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
This is my first wheat beer. I want it to have a lot of orange flavor, but when I got all my ingredients, I saw the bags of orange peel. It just seems like a lot. I am brewing Tom. And would like any input, mainly is this too much orange peel?

image.jpg

Not at all, but make sure you only use zest and not any of the white rind or you'll have unwanted bitterness and flavors from the peel. Also, last time I made a wheat I racked on top of the fruit and some fresh zest in secondary for a tad more orange profile. It came out well without an overbearing flavor and the aroma was great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Not at all, but make sure you only use zest and not any of the white rind or you'll have unwanted bitterness and flavors from the peel. Also, last time I made a wheat I racked on top of the fruit and some fresh zest in secondary for a tad more orange profile. It came out well without an overbearing flavor and the aroma was great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

I was thinking of doing that as well. I usually don't secondary, but I might have too on this one.

I was thinking of doing that as well. I usually don't secondary, but I might have too on this one.

It will help, but be conservative with the fruit. The last fruit based beer I made was a cream ale with peaches. Racked on top of fresh hand picked peaches, about 7lbs, lightly puréed, and previously frozen. Light IBU, tons of peach aroma. It was a hit with people, but reminded me of peach Snapple. I had mixed feelings. Probably needed more BUs.

Latest posts

Back