First Time W/WhiteLabs and it Arrived Swollen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexKramer

Reaction score
Shipped Monday 7Mar, Just got it today10Mar with grain bill. Its in a flexible plastic package and its already swollen, Ive put it in the fridge, brew day is this Saturday. Im at work and wont be able to do a starter till tonight for pitching Sat 12Mar

Will this work?

Thanks
Rex

The new packaging allows a bit of gas diffusion out of the package, but generally appears kind of swollen in all I've used so far. Check the date on it, if it's within 4 months you'll be fine. No harm in pitching into a starter today or tomorrow to make sure it gets going.

From White Labs:
"What is the shelf life of PurePitch?
Because the PurePitch packaging is breathable, CO2 pressure is reduced, improving the viability of the yeast over time. Also, without all of the handling traditional packaging requires, yeast physiology is much improved. You will notice a 4 month best before date, which we have always had on our homebrew packages but previously did not print on our commercial packages. For consistency, that date is now on all White Labs yeast packages. We hope to be able to extend the recommended best before date on PurePitch but are still conducting tests to validate any extended shelf life benefits due to our new packaging. We hope to have more information soon."

Thanks, yea it was manufactured 4Feb2016, I'm going to wait to do starter on Friday...next time I'll ship with ice....warm weather got here to quick...but Im not gonna complain...

Thanks again
-----

All of my pure pitch packets are usually a bit swollen and I buy/pick up directly from White Labs. Like porterpounder said, the new inner membrane allows for some passage of co2 so it wont get too pressured. And they arent nearly as bad as opening the old vials of yeast. Those things were like volcanoes

Good to know, this being my first use of their yeast. Im just getting back into brewing after 15 years, alot has changed so this time around with software it will be easy to keep track of my notes...Im shot gunning all my first round recipes, clones of all my favorite beers, see what happens...first three batches 3 different yeast companies...

thanks again!!
Rex

Good to know, this being my first use of their yeast. Im just getting back into brewing after 15 years, alot has changed so this time around with software it will be easy to keep track of my notes...Im shot gunning all my first round recipes, clones of all my favorite beers, see what happens...first three batches 3 different yeast companies...

thanks again!!
Rex

What yeast did you get from WL? I love their yeast. I would venture to say that ~85% of my beers I use WLP001 on

too funny as that IS the yeast Im going to try with my Harpoon IPA clone tomorrow.... read many good things about this strain......

It's pretty much the best thing ever. I could probably be the official spokesman for 001. Or WL in general...

Back