First time mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aquabubbles

Reaction score
I found a recipe for a 5 gallon mead and bought all the ingredients for that. Unfortunately I just realized the Carboy I have is for 6 gallons. Can I make my 5 gallon mead in the carboy that I have or do I need to buy a 5 gallon size?

Yea make it in the 6 gallon and here is 2-3 months when you need to rack off the lees, by then you can get yourself a 5 gallon carboy to rack into. If you mix up a little more than 5 gallons then you can make sure you top up the 5 gallon carboy up to the neck because there will be some loss in volume due to lees and such.

you need head space for fermentation, because there are gasses and foam rising, so your wort will increase in volume during fermentation. My fermentors are 5g, so I fill it to 4.5g and sometimes still I blow my airlock...

So basically it's perfect size for a 5g recipe.

I was planning on using it as my secondary since I already have a 7 gallon fermenter bucket to use as my primary.

Back