First Porter Recipe - Look Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Brewers!,

I am currently getting a list together for a vanilla porter recipe that I want to brew for the birth of my second son. It will be called the Noah and since Winter is coming on I feel a vanilla porter is perfect! This is what I have chose to put in, please let me know if you think this will give a good flavor profile and if I am on the right track -

Simpsons Chocolate Malt (Maillard)
Debittered Black Malt (Maillard)
Simpsons Dark Crystal (Maillard)
Briess Victory Male (Maillard)
Briess Midnight Wheat Malt (Maillard)
Alexanders Pale Malt Extract (4lb.)
Chinook Hops
Cascade Hops
German Spalt Hops
Irish Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1084)
Vanilla Beans for the Secondary

I am kind of going off a recipe I found online. But made a few changes myself. Does anyone see any major issues with these ingredients? I am still a beginner when it comes to creating your own recipes. Any feedback would be great!

Thanks!

RAPTORLunchbox

Drop the debittered there's black malt.
How much if each do you plan on using?
Your hops are fine but if you want a more traditional porter taste, use English varieties.

Thanks for the reply! Here were the amounts suggested that I saw

6 oz. Chocolate
2 oz. Black patent (will nix this)
0.5 lb Crystal Malt
0.5 lb Victory Malt
0.5 lb Midnight Wheat Malt
4lbs. Alexanders Pale Male Extract
1 oz. Chinook
1 oz. Cascade
1 oz. Spalt Hops (which English varieties do you recommend
Change the yeast to American - Which do you guys recommend?

Was gonna steep grains for 20-30 minutes at 150 bring to a boil then add the LME and Chinook hops boil for 40 minutes then add my warflat tablet boil another 10 then add the cascade hops, boil 8 more minutes and finish with the Spalt hops. Transfer to primary fermenter let sit for a week then transfer to secondary with vanilla beans in secondary and let sit 2-3 weeks, then bottle and let sit for 2 weeks.

Thanks for the feedback!

Have not brewed this yet. Still getting my list together. Decided to cut out the chinook hops and the black patent. Gonna add 1lb dark dry extract. Also gonna change the yeast.

Have you considered Brown malt? I now these things aren't set in stone but to me the porter flavour is black malt/brown malt/crystal. As for extract I would stick with pale and use speciality grains, this imo will make for a better beer. I would also personally drop the wheat, you should get a lot of head just from the speciality grains and porters are typically served with less carbonation and head.

I recommend white labs London ale yeast for a porter.

Be careful with the hops, if you can get English cascade which as a more dried fruit quality then go for it, otherwise US cascade will be to strong for a traditional porter, if you want a circus quality but more in style try pioneer.

Be careful with the Vanilla as well, it will definitely compliment the chocolate malt but is difficult to get the level right and can easily overpower the beer.

Back