First Partial Mash Tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutman35

Reaction score
So I brewed extracts for years and over the last year started brewing all grain using the batch sparge method. Tonight, with lake effect snow moving in, I thought it would be nice to have an indoor brew session, and I am giving partial mash my first shot. I'm brewing from on hand ingredients, and would like your opinion on this recipe. I only have US-05 on hand.

Grains
2 lb Vienna Malt
1.5 lb Munich Malt
12 oz black patent malt

4 lbs extra light pilsner DME
1 oz Mt Hood - 60 minutes
.25 oz Cascade - 60 minutes
1 oz Mt Hood - 5 minutes
.5 oz Cascade - flameout

Yeast US-05

I'd like to use some 1007 German Ale Yeast, but don't have a LHBS close by.

Other than the yeast, any suggestions? Does this sound like it could just end up a muddled mess?

Thanks everyone

So kind of aiming for a black ale, along the lines of a schwarzbier but without lagering? It may be a little roastier than most scwarzbiers with the black patent rather than debittered black but I don't think it will be a muddled mess. I might consider going with all Mt Hood but up to you. I frequently use the "go with what's on hand" approach, I say go for it.

Exactly what I was going for. Not sure how the mount hoods will play with cascades. I have some Saphirs at home as well. Maybe swap out the cascades for them or just go with the 2 oz of mt hoods. Mmmmmmmm

That's what I was wondering, I probably wouldn't want any citrus in this. Then again, plenty of folks like citrusy black IPA's.
Have fun with it, I'm so glad I don't live where I have to deal with lake effect snow anymore!
:mug:

Just got home from work and found some Saphir hops in my freezer, so I will replace Cascades with them in the same amount. Thanks chickypad!

Back