First Lager, going well, looking for advice on temp timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So I made my starters, I'm at an FG of 1.010 and i'm currently at my d-rest.

I'm using a brewpi and have a very long ramp from d rest to lagering temps (30 days). I made this based on the lager fermentation profile in beersmith.

So right now my plan is this.

Rack the beer to secondary at the end of the d rest. once in my secondary, over 30 days, drop from 60 to 40. rack to tertiary and store in basement (~40-55 degrees through summer) until I keg it sometime in October or November.

Is this a logical plan?

Possible flaws I see...

maybe i can drop the temp faster than that slow ramp i have defined.

maybe i should store it kegged and carbed rather than having 4 transfers.

Any input would be super helpful!

Thanks!

:tank:

I suggest you either rack to secondary and crash a little faster maybe 2 degrees a day just to shorten the window of time just be sure you can keep the suck Bach to a minimum. You don't want to introduce any o2 at this point.

I've had very good success racking to a keg after the d rest and putting a a low co2 charge on the keg and crashing it to lager temps. Then once stable at temps charging it to 8-10 psi to keep a positive pressure and disconnecting the co2 and letting it lager till ready.

I'd go with the process that limits 02 exposure the most. Lagers are very delicate and oxidation will show through at small levels.

Brewed in March and drinking in November
You must have the patience of a saint. Especially for your fist lager...I'd be chompin at the bit to give it a taste.
Is there a reason your giving it 8 months besides wondering if it will spit out gold flakes or diamonds :)...seems excessively long

Curious what the beer/recipe is for that long of a lagering

The only rack I would do is to a keg... Fine it with gelatin and let it sit on pressure until ready to drink. Should be clear then too.

I do the brulosophy accelerated method and it works really well. 4 GtG

I've done three Pilsners this way and am always happy with the results. I just need to find away to keep my wife away from this beer so I can enjoy a few pints myself!

so i figure classically they were brewed in early spring and stored over the summer into the fallish and i had free time to give this sucker a shot..

It's a pretty standard oktoberfest....

Recipe: Oktoberfest TYPE: All Grain
Style: Oktoberfest/Märzen
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 8.3 SRM SRM RANGE: 7.0-14.0 SRM
IBU: 29.2 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 20.0-28.0 IBUs
OG: 1.057 SG OG RANGE: 1.050-1.057 SG
FG: 1.014 SG FG RANGE: 1.012-1.016 SG
BU:GU: 0.508 Calories: 182.3 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 5.7 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 5.50 gal Boil: 7.78 gal BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 13 lbs 7.2 oz Total Hops: 2.77 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs 8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 11.2 %
5 lbs Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 S Grain 2 36.8 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 3 18.6 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4 18.6 %
8.0 oz Amber Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.7 %
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.7 %
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.7 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (1.5 Grain 8 3.7 %

Name Description Step Temper Step Time
Dough-In Add 3.03 gal of water at 70.0 F 70.0 F 15 min
Acid Rest Add 2.10 gal of water at 165.6 F 105.0 F 30 min
Amalayse Rest Decoct 1.44 gal of mash and boil 130.0 F 25 min
Hochkurz Decoct 0.75 gal of mash and boil 140.0 F 25 min
Dextrinization Rest Decoct 1.12 gal of mash and boil 153.0 F 20 min
Mash Out Decoct 1.78 gal of mash and boil 170.0 F 5 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 70.0 F/70.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Fly sparge with 4.27 gal water at 168.0 F

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG Est OG: 1.057 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.55 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] Hop 9 8.2 IBUs
0.55 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 9.2 IBUs
1.11 oz Saaz [3.75 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 7.6 IBUs
0.55 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] Hop 12 4.1 IBUs
2.42 g Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 13 -
2.42 g Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 14 -

where can i find the method you are refering to....
There are links I don't have but its,

5 days or 80% at lager temp (50 deg)
Bring it up to 68 for 7 days
cold crash at 32 for 7 days
Force carb
use gelatin in the keg...It makes a huge difference in clarity

I thought I mentioned that in one of your other threads....I sure the "classic" way had a lot to do with no refrigeration...if they did I would bet dollars to donuts the classic way would be 4 to 6 weeks....cant hurt to leave it for months to see how it turns out except the big chance of an infection and tossing it altogether

I think gelatin changes the taste of beer. Probably sacrilege to say but that's my opinion.

Well, your opinion isn't wrong. It's just how it tastes to you.

There have been six Gelatin exbeeriments reported on the Brulosophy website: http://brulosophy.com/exbeeriments/

None of them have shown that a significant number of testers (meaning a significantly greater number than chance would allow) could distinguish the various Gelatin combinations and differences.

Does that mean you have no ability to discern a difference? No. Maybe you can, who am I to say you can't?

I don't see it as impossible that you can tell a difference. The HOPS book notes that some characteristics of hops cannot be tasted or discerned by some segment of the population. I myself can't discern an Apricot taste in a beer that has it; a friend of mine (very good palate) assures me it's there.

So--you can tell a difference. Good, bad, just different, how is it perceived by you?

Maybe it's mental. I know time and temperature brings clarity, so I prefer that route for lagers. I occasionally use gelatin but never on hop forward beers. Again; that's me.

Oh, I love Brulosophy but I scratch my head how frequently they test with insignificant outcomes.

Back