First lager, do I need to re-yeast before conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Invertalon

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Just brewed my 5th batch of beer, an Oktoberfest Lager. OG of 1.056 and pitched two vials (plus 1.8L starter) of WLP830. I would have just done one vial plus a step starter, but time was not on my side for brew day so I just did the single step. Required 420B cells or so for this batch, 5.5 gallon.

Pitched yeast at 51-54F and fermentation in less than 24hrs is vigorous. Lots of airlock activity (bubbles every second or so).

I plan to primary for about 10 days or so before checking the gravity and expect to do my diacetyl rest before lagering. Lagering will be about 4-5 weeks at 35F.

I still bottle, so it will be bottle conditioned. I will transfer into a secondary for lagering (carboy to reduce headspace), so I am debating on if I need to add yeast back in the bottling bucket or not. If so, I plan to harvest from the primary yeast cake and just add some back in prior to bottling.

I have read various things on re-yeasting lagers, some people say you should and others say as long as you don't lager over 2-3 months or something.

Any comments to ease my concerns? Will there be enough yeast to condition in 2 weeks or so or should I add some back in to be safe?

There will be enough yeast to carbonate bottles without adding more, but probably not in two weeks. I find it takes about 3 to 4 weeks for lagers to bottle condition.

I think you'll be fine to bottle normally, even after all that time there are still lots of yeasties in suspension that should be able to carb it up.

If you'd like to though, I've heard of people using just a little bit of ale yeast at bottling time in their lagers.

I do have a pack of US-04 dry yeast I can use if I decide to, or just pitch a little bit of the primary yeast after I wash it and such. Was not sure what yeast may be better to use.

I wouldn't mind waiting 3-4 weeks to carbonate, but since I started this beer a little later than I wanted to I am hoping to be able to enjoy mid-October or so. If I have to wait 3-4 weeks to carb up I will be in November and although not a huge deal, is later than I am hoping. I figure adding a little yeast would speed it up. Usually all my bottles have carbed in a week or so, but this is my first lager and first secondary as well, so I figure I will loose some of that yeast I usually probably suck up into the bottling bucket from the cake.

Really, I would just rack up a bit of the yeast that settles out during lagering. That should give you more than enough yeast to carbonate, but not enough to make the beer all turbid or give you a massive yeast cake in the bottles. You can bottle condition at room temp, though.

If using a secondary (first time), do I need to pick up some of the yeast cake when transferring or will there be plenty of yeast in suspension to form another "cake" in secondary, that I can then pick up at bottling?

I still plan to harvest the yeast though... planning on a cream ale in the future! Yum.

Back