First cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nik77

Reaction score
I'm primely a beer maker but I like cider so I am trying a can kit pear cider. I've followed my regimented routine of warming the wort making the mix to 23l adding the brewing sugar and yeast. I'm using a bucket fermenter with a heat band and airlock. I bottle in 500ml oxi-bar brewing bottles.but what I'd like to pick your brains for is priming I'm a batch primer but I've heard how easy it is to make cider bombs. I'm using cane sugar to prime so looking for advice on amount please.

One point: cider is nothing more than weak wine, and wine is not beer - warming fruit is generally seen as undesirable, unless you like cloudy wine.

With regards to the priming, It generally is easy as the cider tends to ferment dry, and the yeast used tends to go for higher alcohol%'s. I'm just trying out, but a can of concentrate for 5 gallons is a rule of thumb I've heard, but like i said i have a few carbonating with that, not sure how it will end up.

If you're sticking to the kit instructions you'll have no problems. Roughly an ounce per gallon or for metrics like me - 28 grams per 4 litres - is what I bulk prime at.
For peace of mind, if your FG is similar to that of your beers or lower, then prime at the beer rate.

Fossey said:
If you're sticking to the kit instructions you'll have no problems. Roughly an ounce per gallon or for metrics like me - 28 grams per 4 litres - is what I bulk prime at.
For peace of mind, if your FG is similar to that of your beers or lower, then prime at the beer rate.

Well my hydrometer reading is just in the ready to bottle band about 1008. So you do roughly 6x28 grams for bulk priming.

Personally I used 2 cans of thawed frozen 100% apple juice in my 5.5 Gallon Batch. I didn't have any bottle bombs, but I mainly used PET bottles with screw tops.

nik77 said:
Well my hydrometer reading is just in the ready to bottle band about 1008. So you do roughly 6x28 grams for bulk priming.

Yeah, so between 7 - 8 grams per litre. If you're bottling at 1008, I'd go for the lower end of the scale - 7g/L. 1004 and under I'd go for 8g/ L.
Keep an eye on it though, bombs can still happen!

Right I've primed my first pear cider with table sugar about four weeks ago and alls well. I have another pear kit to make and was thinking of priming with Demerara sugar too see how different the flavour would be. Has anyone done this that can give advice on priming amounts for 23l if it differs from the norm.

Back