First attempt at a banana mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niklaas1212

Reaction score
Hey I'm new to the forum but started home brewing a little over a year ago, when I made my first beer. Then me and my friend started getting into brewing mead because we tried one our friend made before he moved away. We have made a couple batches and now wanted to try a banana mead which after reading it sounded a bit difficult to do because of the bananas breaking down in fermentation! After doing some research and looking at various ways to make alcohol with bananas we took kind of a hybrid approach to it all. We started off making our must side by side with a banana wine mixture of brown sugar and bananas with fresh water.We brought that to a boil for a bit and then cooled down both and mixed together. We did 1 gallon worth of each so we have 2 1 gallon batches fermenting. We then pitched a Belgian lager yeast to add to the banana smell and possible flavor. To try something a little different we added a cinnamon stick to both of the batches. They started out almost brown and now it is getting more golden. We are going to move and rack it in a day or so. It had great fermentation and bubbled tremendously. So we are pretty excited about it. I will keep updating on this as we go through the steps.

View attachment 1452641798450.jpg

View attachment 1452641893988.jpg

Regular must mixture with 3lb of a regular amber honey for the one half and then for the banana wine part we did 12 cups water, 3 cups brown sugar and added 8 bananas. We heated to 180 and let sit at 180 for 30 minutes, smelled great!!! We strained it into the must and cooled it down and then added a cinnamon stick to each and pitched the lager yeast. The original og was 1.079

Latest posts

Back