Finishing a Saison w/S-01: What Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1.075 OG Saison stuck ~1.025. It's been 3 weeks at high-temps, ~80-85F since pitching. I want to throw in some american ale yeast to dry it out.

Question: Is it absolutely necessary to move the temp down to 70F or does really matter? I suspect the answer is "yes," but I'm worried with all the alcohol already in the carboy, the S-01 cells might not respond well at a lower pitch temp. Also, would the potential esters/diacetyl from a hot S-01 pitch really show up in a stinky-ass, high ABV saison that's been sitting at warm temps for 3 weeks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-stalled out singapore....

Before you add more yeast, why is your fermentation stalled out at 1.025? Is it possible that it is just finished, and more yeast won't change anything? Is it possible you really just need to gently rouse your yeast to get it going again? How long has it been at 1.025?

But yes, I would try to reduce the temperature. For a Saison, you would want to keep the flavors of any other yeast to a minimum.

Back