FiftyPoundSack.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannPM

Reaction score
Fifty Pound Sack

I ordered a pound of Czech Saaz hops for only $16.49 that's shipping included over my lunch one day, order was filled that day and shipped that day on my doorstep in two!!

This place is awesome!!! Best deal I've found anywhere on hops and service that is absolutely amazing. I will definitely be getting my grain sacks from them when I finally cave in and buy a mill.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure hopsdirect.com prices are better.

I took a look there just now and 1lb of Hallertau with cheapest shipping option is $21.14 on HopsDirect vs $14.69 at FiftyPoundSack. FPS is still the best deal I can find!

I last got Baird's MO for about $29, though my latest quote was $34.65.

. . . order was filled that day and shipped that day on my doorstep in two!!
Same here. Place my first order with 50 Pound Sack on Tuesday.

Today, Thursday, FedEx delivered 55lbs of Maris Otter and some hops to my doorstep. Great service!

edit to say:
It's like 100 degrees with typical NJ humidity outside today.
The FedEx guy didn't look too happy carrying that box from his truck. :D

First order with them. 55lbs Weyermann bohemian pils and 3lbs hops. Placed order Monday. Shipped Monday and arrived today. My closest LHBS is over an hours drive. I try to support him, but with fuel at $4 this is the best deal I've found and quick service too.

Certainly not the worst deal around. I can't speak directly about hops, since I don't typically buy them in bulk. Just don't go through them fast enough. My impression of their grain prices is that they are competitive.

Example with 50lb sack of Rahr 2-row pale malt shipped
50lb Sack - $62
Northern Brewer - $60.18
Midwest Supplies - $54.62

Although, doing just a quick comparison on their hops, they seem to do a little better on their hops. I find it a little funny that they are called 50lb sack and they seem to have better pricing on their hops.

The impression I get is that they buy in bulk through a distributor, add 30%-40% markup, and then add shipping into the cost of the product and offer "free" shipping.

It's great that you're happy with your purchase. That's what's important. I guess my point is to make sure to shop around.

I guess my point is to make sure to shop around.
That’s the important thing. It really depends on where you live and what you buy.
Here’s my situation:

55lb sack of Weyermann Pale Wheat

Fifty Pound Sack w/ shipping $74
Northern Brewer $64.99 + $30.20 shipping = $95.19
Midwest $59.95 + $25.80 shipping = $85.75

Yep. It really all depends on where you live and who you shop with. I have the advantage of living one state away from MW and NB. I would guess that if I ordered from somewhere like Rebel Brewer or Austin HB, it would probably be more. 50lb Sack does have consistent pricing, but not always the best.

That’s the important thing. It really depends on where you live and what you buy.
Here’s my situation:

55lb sack of Weyermann Pale Wheat

Fifty Pound Sack w/ shipping $74
Northern Brewer $64.99 + $30.20 shipping = $95.19
Midwest $59.95 + $25.80 shipping = $85.75

The more you order from 50poundsack the cheaper it gets to, I get all my Weyermann malt from them, excellent service.

fiftypoundsack is my go-to online site for bulk. It's great for people like me that don't have a lhbs... and cheaper than anyone else I can get bulk from online. Super fast shipping is great too!

Placed an order this morning and got a shipping confirmation in less than 3hrs! This place rocks!

Edit:
A few days later and FedEx still hasn't received the package :(

Edit #2:
Received the next day after first edit. So it took about 3 days, not bad for a big heavy box, lol.

Back