FG Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh990311

Reaction score
Im making an apple pie wine, the SG was 1.040 on average what should my FG be? I have a yeast inhibitor to stop fermentation once I hit a FG I'm happy with. I should also mention that once I hit 1.040 i transferred to my secondary, once I hit my FG I will let it sit in the secondary until October. At that point I will be adding the apple pie flavoring to let it sit for a 2 weeks followed up by bottled aging with a little more flavoring if i dont have desired flavors. I'm shooting for Thanksgiving and Christmas Wines. That was way off topic! The FG was the topic sorry. I was thinking FG of .990 would this be correct or around this range and perhaps possibly back sweeten with something. Thanks all!!

I would think 0.994 - 0.996 would be your FG. That's been my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cool Thanks!! Thats sort of the range I was thinking but just kind of looking for confirmation.

Its potassium sorbate. Thats what the inhibitor is. My recipe calls for it once I hit FG.

Its potassium sorbate. Thats what the inhibitor is. My recipe calls for it once I hit FG.

It won't work that way. Your recipe sounds suspect if it suggests that it will stop an active fermentation.

What sorbate does is inhibit yeast reproduction. Since in an active fermentation, the yeast are not reproducing, it does not stop fermentation.

The recipe is from the purple book that I've seen in 3 of the brew shops I've visited in my state. It has a ton of different recipes. I probably just worded what the potassium sorbate actually does wrong with me being still fairly new. I cant think of the name of the book but its a little purple book and it has about a million wine recipes some i couldn't imagine anybody actually making. Hope this clarifies what i was trying to say. Thanks for the correction and correct information.

Back