Fermentrack Redis Docker??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is LCS? What is the exact error message you're seeing? What can't you control?
I typed that wrong when trying to run fermentrack from the browser I get this message Cannot receive LCD text from Controller/Script. If I click on the dashboard the error is “can’t connect to controller” However if I shut down everything and wait and restart the controller and the Pi then I don’t get that message. After a period of time the PI freezes up and I can’t access or do anything. I have unplug and restart. At this point I get the same LCD script issue as before but sometimes if I sit long enough about 5 minutes i get the message starting script and the LCD txt is displayed on the monitor... but soon the PI freezes. I have a PI 3 B. 1 GB ram. SD card is 16 gB. I’m thinking I need a new PI. Is the PI 4 supported under fermentrack?

I typed that wrong when trying to run fermentrack from the browser I get this message Cannot receive LCD text from Controller/Script. If I click on the dashboard the error is “can’t connect to controller” However if I shut down everything and wait and restart the controller and the Pi then I don’t get that message. After a period of time the PI freezes up and I can’t access or do anything. I have unplug and restart. At this point I get the same LCD script issue as before but sometimes if I sit long enough about 5 minutes i get the message starting script and the LCD txt is displayed on the monitor... but soon the PI freezes. I have a PI 3 B. 1 GB ram. SD card is 16 gB. I’m thinking I need a new PI. Is the PI 4 supported under fermentrack?

That's very odd. Is there anything else running on the Pi (other than the obvious, system stuff?)

To answer your question, yes - Fermentrack supports all of the Pi 4s (and the Pi 400 for what its worth) but for what it's worth all of my test builds are on Pi 3s, so the Pi 3 should work.

The two biggest culprits before the Pi itself are power and the SD card. If you have another power supply or another SD card handy, I would try those before going out and purchasing a Pi 4. (Unless you just happen to want a Pi 4 - I know how that goes!)

That's very odd. Is there anything else running on the Pi (other than the obvious, system stuff?)

To answer your question, yes - Fermentrack supports all of the Pi 4s (and the Pi 400 for what its worth) but for what it's worth all of my test builds are on Pi 3s, so the Pi 3 should work.

The two biggest culprits before the Pi itself are power and the SD card. If you have another power supply or another SD card handy, I would try those before going out and purchasing a Pi 4. (Unless you just happen to want a Pi 4 - I know how that goes!)
Ok as of last night this is what I discovered. TeamView does have affects on the performance of my Pi, I swapped out to a spare Pi. And a new SD card. I wonder if my SD cards a low quality? The power supply is a canna kit 2.5 amp. I’m going to upgrade that today as well if I can find one local if not I’ll have to order it. I might make a new SD card with the minimal Pi OS. I’ve been using the full desktop with all programs. And try that. I also ordered a cooling case since i get the temp icon sometimes on the Pi. I really do want to get a 4 but if I can make this work with what o have then I’ll stick with what I got.

Ok as of last night this is what I discovered. TeamView does have affects on the performance of my Pi, I swapped out to a spare Pi. And a new SD card. I wonder if my SD cards a low quality? The power supply is a canna kit 2.5 amp. I’m going to upgrade that today as well if I can find one local if not I’ll have to order it. I might make a new SD card with the minimal Pi OS. I’ve been using the full desktop with all programs. And try that. I also ordered a cooling case since i get the temp icon sometimes on the Pi. I really do want to get a 4 but if I can make this work with what o have then I’ll stick with what I got.
Ok I swapped out to a new SD card and over to a different pi. I own three pi units. All 3 B.
two I got from canakit the other was a Kano computer. Even though they are all the same model the Kano computer one works best no issues with voltage like I was having with the others and it’s snappy and fast. Either the other two are fake or maybe they are damaged?
I still have issues with Teamviewer... once it is running everything comes to a sluggish crawl. I’m not sure why this is the case since others use teamviewer without any issues. I also installed the pi into a fan case to keep it cool.
lastly I got a WiFi extender. I noticed early today my wifi signal is very weak in the basement where I am now located. Could this be the reason why the software can’t receive text from the LCD screen? It’s very intermittent when this happens. I’m assuming I will have to re-flash the controller in order to connect to the extender correct??
On another note the software connects to my tilt sometimes and other times it loses connection. Is there a way to test tilt connection in terminal? I need to see signal strength.. I’m thinking I need a new battery in the tilt as well. I used tilt before with little issues before... I have been using fermentrack now since 2018 with no issues until I took this break and moved to the other side of the house basement... now issue after issue! This is frustrating.

Ok I swapped out to a new SD card and over to a different pi. I own three pi units. All 3 B.
two I got from canakit the other was a Kano computer. Even though they are all the same model the Kano computer one works best no issues with voltage like I was having with the others and it’s snappy and fast. Either the other two are fake or maybe they are damaged?

It's possible, I suppose, but more likely it's just that some of the components got switched between the various builds. Although some components stay the same across most/all Pis of the same generation (e.g. CPU) the rest of the components (connectors, voltage regulators, etc.) can change based on what manufacturer's components are available/cheapest/etc. The quality of these components can vary wildly, resulting in some Pis seeming to work with a marginal power supply and others not.

I still have issues with Teamviewer... once it is running everything comes to a sluggish crawl. I’m not sure why this is the case since others use teamviewer without any issues. I also installed the pi into a fan case to keep it cool.
lastly I got a WiFi extender. I noticed early today my wifi signal is very weak in the basement where I am now located. Could this be the reason why the software can’t receive text from the LCD screen? It’s very intermittent when this happens. I’m assuming I will have to re-flash the controller in order to connect to the extender correct??

I don't have any experience with TeamViewer, unfortunately, to be able to tell you how resource-intensive it might be. What I can tell you is that Fermentrack shouldn't be actively using all that much processing power, so you should be fine.

Poor WiFi signal strength absolutely could cause the issues you are experiencing. Every time your controller loses connection to WiFi you're looking at a minimum of ~60 seconds of Fermentrack reporting an error. The antenna on the ESPs isn't the best, so if your Pi is showing marginal connection, your controllers are likely barely connecting at all.

Without knowing the topology of your specific network it's impossible to say whether or not you need to reset the controller's settings, so I would get the additional network hardware in place and just see if the controllers automatically connect to it. If they don't, there is a "Reset WiFi settings" option on the manage device page within Fermentrack. If you can't use/don't want to mess with that, then yes - reflashing the controller is also an option. I recommend flashing the wiring test firmware first (that firmware explicitly resets your controller's WiFi settings) before flashing the BrewPi firmware again.

On another note the software connects to my tilt sometimes and other times it loses connection. Is there a way to test tilt connection in terminal? I need to see signal strength.. I’m thinking I need a new battery in the tilt as well. I used tilt before with little issues before... I have been using fermentrack now since 2018 with no issues until I took this break and moved to the other side of the house basement... now issue after issue! This is frustrating.

I thought I added an indicator of signal strength to the "Manage Device" page for Tilts in Fermentrack (the "RSSI" indicator), though I won't make recommendations for how it should be used. If you can get your controllers to consistently connect you could always try a TiltBridge. :)

I’m assuming I will need to attach the esp to the pi with a usb cable to reset wifi correct?

Ok I’m doing that now I just don’t remember what family I have I think it’s non-modeMCUESP8266

The overwhelming majority of people have a NodeMCU ESP-12E (or compatible). The worst case scenario if you choose the wrong board is that the flash doesn't work.
Ok well i decided to do serial flash. Works great. The pi is in the same room right next to the control box so why not. Everything went smooth. The WIFI was the issue! It was too weak a signal. I chose to do the serial because I did not want to go through the the WiFi setup plus it just seems to not work well in my situation. By the way using serial instead of WiFi my tilt connects to Bluetooth and stays connected no drops as of yet!
Thanks again for all your great support!!!

It's possible, I suppose, but more likely it's just that some of the components got switched between the various builds. Although some components stay the same across most/all Pis of the same generation (e.g. CPU) the rest of the components (connectors, voltage regulators, etc.) can change based on what manufacturer's components are available/cheapest/etc. The quality of these components can vary wildly, resulting in some Pis seeming to work with a marginal power supply and others not.

I don't have any experience with TeamViewer, unfortunately, to be able to tell you how resource-intensive it might be. What I can tell you is that Fermentrack shouldn't be actively using all that much processing power, so you should be fine.

Poor WiFi signal strength absolutely could cause the issues you are experiencing. Every time your controller loses connection to WiFi you're looking at a minimum of ~60 seconds of Fermentrack reporting an error. The antenna on the ESPs isn't the best, so if your Pi is showing marginal connection, your controllers are likely barely connecting at all.

Without knowing the topology of your specific network it's impossible to say whether or not you need to reset the controller's settings, so I would get the additional network hardware in place and just see if the controllers automatically connect to it. If they don't, there is a "Reset WiFi settings" option on the manage device page within Fermentrack. If you can't use/don't want to mess with that, then yes - reflashing the controller is also an option. I recommend flashing the wiring test firmware first (that firmware explicitly resets your controller's WiFi settings) before flashing the BrewPi firmware again.

I thought I added an indicator of signal strength to the "Manage Device" page for Tilts in Fermentrack (the "RSSI" indicator), though I won't make recommendations for how it should be used. If you can get your controllers to consistently connect you could always try a TiltBridge. :)
So looks like tilt is still not working after a day of staying connected it dropped connection.
I can connect without a problem with my cellphone tilt app. The tilt I have is a red tilt version 1 so it’s not the latest tilt on the market.
I changed the battery in the tilt on Friday snd was able to connect and lost connection after a few hours. Tilt is currently floating in a plastic fermenter inside a small refrigerator/ incubator.
I can connect to the tilt with my cellphone up to 20 feet away. I have even placed the Pi inside the incubator on top of the fermenter and it still loses connection.
I have install fermentrack on a Lenovo 110s laptop running Linux mint. I’m able to connect to the tilt with no problems but with in about 5 10 minutes it is unable to pull data or stay connected to the tilt. I’m at a loss... I’m going to probably give up at this point on having the tilt connected to fermentrack and just use the tilt app. I’m also thinking of setting up one of my PIs to run the tilt pi v2 buster from the developers ofhe tilt to see if it’s a problem with the tilt I own or the pi. In theory what they have written should work since their app works fine on my phone?? This migh indicate if it’s a communication issue with my Pi.
I’m willing to try tiltbridge. Any ideas?? Link to the tiltbridge build and software?

Hi everyone,

Similar to some other posters, I've run into issues with the updated (aka Docker-based) version of Fermentrack. I'm running Buster on a RPi 3 Model B.

I've managed to get much of the way through the semi-automated installation process, only to receive the message "ERROR: Port 6379 is required by Redis, but is currently in use. Installation cannot continue."

Following the advice from earlier in the thread, I deleted Redis but this did not fix the problem. I also attempted to kill the process that was using port 6379, but whatever install took root in the system seems to keep restarting the process over again.

I've tried several times to completely wipe out the Fermentrack install and start over again, to no avail. Any ideas?

Back