Fermentation done but lots of yeast still on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
This is an 5 gal IPA recipe with US-05. I took a hydrometer reading last night and it's exactly where it should be so I think it's done (been 2 weeks) but there's a lot of yeast floating on top. This is a hoppy IPA so I want to get it kegged and conditioning so it will mellow a bit and be ready for superbowl. What's the best way to proceed? It's being dry hopped now so some of that krausen may drop out or it may not.

I have a long dip tube with a super fine mesh filter I can use to pull it out, that might help. Should I skim the krausen off the top first or what? I haven't had this problem before but I'm rushing this one a little so it will be ready on time.

US-05 is not a particularly fast floccer in the end and having a top hat of thick krausen remaining after 10 days or more is not surprising to me. If it finally annoys me I'll gently rock the fermentor enough to sink it, but typically I'll be cold-crashing within another day or so anyway which will definitely send the works to the bottom in short order...

Cheers!

Back