Fermax vs LD Carlson Yeast Nutrient

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidabcd

Detroit, Mi.
Reaction score
These are the crystals where you add a 1/2 t.
My question is, are they the same or is one significantly better than the other?
Thanks.

Perhaps the real question is what are you planning to brew that may or may not need the yeast nutrient. Wort contains all that the yeast need. Fruit juices for making wine do not. Adding nutrient to wort may not help.

Perhaps the real question is what are you planning to brew that may or may not need the yeast nutrient. Wort contains all that the yeast need. Fruit juices for making wine do not. Adding nutrient to wort may not help.
I've been adding it upon the recommendation of the Brew Your Own magazine. These are very high gravity beers I'm making (12-14%).
Do you know if there's a real difference between the two products? I've been using JD Carlson but not Fermax.
Thank you.

Both of those products are really made for wine/mead/cider, not for beer. They have lots of nitrogen (especially at the recommended dosages), which beer wort already has plenty of.

Beer wort contains most of what the yeast need, with a possible exception of adequate zinc. If you want to use a prepacked yeast nutrient for beer wort, I'd recommend something like Wyeast Beer Nutrient Blend, mainly because it provides zinc. (Inadequate zinc can cause sluggish fermentations.)

Back