Fellowship of The Homebrew VII: Kegs of Fury

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the Great FOTHB VII Offers:

jason613

1. Peanut butter stout, all grain, flavored with PB flavoring

2. Session IPA, all grain, slow ride clone

3. Peanut butter stout, all grain, made with PB2 in secondary

4. Porter...no specific details yet, brewing tomorrow or Wed. Most likely an imperial vanilla bean bourbon porter. (Will send update)

Non beer item - spent grain dog treats

pshankstar

American Barleywine (maybe more of an American Strong Ale) - 11.1% ABV, aged on some bourbon soaked oak chips.
Partygyle Beer - Brewed after the American Barleywine. 3.4% ABV using mainly all Cascade & Chinook hops (home grown hops).
Session Melomel - 7% ABV, source mainly local honey from a local bee keeper. Aged on strawberries and blueberries.
Resilience IPA - 6.5% (+/-) ABV, recipe from AHA but changed slightly based on ingredients I had on hand.
BelSim Pale Ale - 5.6% ABV. Pale Ale brewed with Belma and Simcoe hops.

Chrisgood1

Tripel - 8.8%
I am working on my Belgian beers, I feel that this is a good example and would love some feedback.

Oatmeal Stout - 5.7%
Lots of body from the oats, roasty for sure but not overpowering.

Düsseldorf Altbier - 5.2%
I find this to be my favorite beer I have brewed in a while. Really nice malt flavor but smooth from cold conditioning.

Currant Devotion - 9.5%
A strong brown sour, it is true sour. Fermented with abbey ale yeast first then a mixed culture was added, let it sit for about 9 months before adding oak from Cabernet Sauvignon barrels and black currants for another 3 months. Total time from brew day to bottles was about 13 months plus time to carb so really about 14 months total time, by far the most I ever put into one beer.

GaBrewZoo

Hefeweizen- Standard recipe ala Paulaner. Lots of banana. 5.25%.

Weizenbock- Similar to above, used the same yeast cake. Added a little chocolate wheat for color, 16 srm. 6.5%.

Dark Saison- My favorite. Dark saison with two pounds ob honey, aged on oak that was soaked in a dark red wine. 7.25%.

Chocolate Mint Stout- Just finished this the day before the Super Bowl. One pound lactose, 8 ounces Hershey's Cocoa, vanilla and peppermint extract. Tastes like a thin mint cookie. 6.2%.

I may also throw in a cider fermented with saison yeast.

TBC

Mosaic IPA-Marris Otter, Mosaic hops fermented with US-05

Saffron Belgian Tripel-House Belgian fermented with WLP abbey ale yeast racked onto 2 grams saffron thread

Lightly Hopped Cider-Apple Cider fermented with WLP 616 funky cider vault release yeast. Racked onto 1oz Mosaic.

Hard Lemon Iced Tea based on Drunken Emu’s Mississippi River water recipe on HBT.

Skeeter Pee Lime Version-can check it out at Skeeterpee.com. This is currently fermenting.

Original Skeeter Pee Lemonade version currently fermenting.

JCasey1992

1. Top Of The Order Porter W/ Hazelnut, Chocolate, and Vanilla [American Porter]

American Porter with chocolate flavoring, hazelnut flavoring, and pure vanilla extract added at packaging. This recipe was the first dark beer I’ve made that I actually enjoyed. I not only liked it though. I loved it! It was so good that when we lost the first one to the bottom of the keezer due to a leak, I had to brew it again. The second batch is just as good as the first!

ABV - 6.6%
IBU - 42
SRM - 28.5

2. Top Of The Order Porter W/ Chocolate and Peanut Butter [American Porter]

Same recipe as above but with peanut butter extract and chocolate flavoring added at packaging. This one has a lot of peanut butter flavor. Tastes like drinking a peanut butter cup!

ABV - 6.6%
IBU - 42
SRM - 28.5

3. 5280 Stout W/ Coconut, Almond, and Chocolate [Milk Stout]

My first shot at a milk stout. I added almond flavoring, chocolate flavoring, and a coconut/rum tincture at packaging. Pretty solid results for my first attempt at the style!

ABV - 5.3%
IBU - 36
SRM - 40

4. Hopping Mad Pale Ale W/ Orange Peel [American Pale Ale]

Pale Ale with Cascade, Mosaic, and Citra hops. I also threw some freshly zested orange peel in with the dry hop. I don’t really pick up a ton of orange in the finished product but it is still a solid pale ale.

ABV - 5.4%
IBU - 36
SRM - 6.1

TwistedGray

There will be no additions or commercial offerings this round; this is everything, enjoy.

Apricot Clouds - This is an extremely approachable kettle sour. It is very low on the sour scale (1-10; it would be a 2.5-3), but very high in flavor and aroma. It's an all-grain "dirty" blonde recipe with a lacto blend. Post fermentation, I added 5lbs of frozen apricots that we picked about a year ago (making freezer space). The best part is that you can drink this all day. It was brewed for this purpose and finished at 2.5% ABV. It's a quencher with a little pucker...love how it came out. If anything, it's slightly on the thin side as expected with the grain bill.

American Nut Brown - Brewed in November, nuttiness comes from grain bill (no adjunct). It's really good, and it's my last one of the batch.

Cider Stout (Version 2) - It's still not where I want it to be, but it's a little funky stout. I brew a stout and then I brew a cider, and I mix the two (60% cider 40% stout) in a bottling bucket. The result is this funky stout thing.

Pale Ale - This is the last pale ale from the batch brewed back in September. It's mellowed out and in my opinion is at its prime. I opened and consumed the second to last one a week ago. Peach, guava, and pineapple juice were all added post primary fermentation.

Thai Cream Ale - I slightly modified the popular cream ale recipe on these forums and added thai tea post fermentation. Unfortunately I did not add enough tea or lactose, but it's still a good (orange in color) cream ale.

Tamarindo Stout - It's my go-to stout recipe but with additions of tamarindo throughout the boil. If you drink it cold you will miss the mouth puckering tamarindo, so drink at room temp if not slightly warmer if you're looking for that mmmmmmpop pucker.

Blackberry Cider - A simple cider recipe with blackberries added in post fermentation creating a secondary fermentation. It packs a blackberry punch; although, it's been aging for a bit now (may be slightly muted).

Not pictured but might include one, both, or none:

Winter Seasonal Cider - I use Trader Joe's winter cider as my base and add some other stuff to it. It's heavy on the cinnamon so it can be a little too season-y for some.

Dark Cider - I fermented my cider on a stout yeast cake to pull in some roast; however, I have not had one yet...I just bottled a sampler on Feb. 5th, so I can add comments in about a week or so. Should be interesting (call it Version 3 of the cider stout if you will). If it's not horrid I may include a bottle...I think it's going to be as funky as version 2 based on the aroma from when I was bottling.

Back