Fellowship of the Drink XIX - Beers at the 19th Hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this idea, I second the motion.

If you want a mystery box there is a thread for that - Local Only Trade (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/local-only-trade-lot.548354/).

The draw with FotD is that you know what you are getting, at least from the base offer perspective. If I want a stout-heavy offer, I usually have that option. If I want a sour-heavy offer, I almost always have that option.

If it were a gamble and the person on the other end doesn't know my style preference, I may get an entire offer of beer that I could not physically drink. The idea is cute, but again there is a thread for that.

If you do this, the mystery boxes should almost completely contain one style of beer (or similar styles) because you still fall into the trap of possibly getting beers you cannot drink or do not want to drink. If you show one stout and ship one stout and a half dozen DIPAs, it would be a sad unboxing day (for me).

If you want a mystery box there is a thread for that - Local Only Trade (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/local-only-trade-lot.548354/).

The draw with FotD is that you know what you are getting, at least from the base offer perspective. If I want a stout-heavy offer, I usually have that option. If I want a sour-heavy offer, I almost always have that option. If it were a gamble and the person on the other end doesn't know my style preference, I may get an entire offer of beer that I could not physically drink. The idea is cute, but again there is a thread for that.
Damn, good point

The draw with FotD is that you know what you are getting, at least from the base offer perspective. If I want a stout-heavy offer, I usually have that option. If I want a sour-heavy offer, I almost always have that option.

If it were a gamble and the person on the other end doesn't know my style preference, I may get an entire offer of beer that I could not physically drink. The idea is cute, but again there is a thread for that.

If you do this, the mystery boxes should almost completely contain one style of beer (or similar styles) because you still fall into the trap of possibly getting beers you cannot drink or do not want to drink. If you show one stout and ship one stout and a half dozen DIPAs, it would be a sad unboxing day (for me).

I would say if it’s mystery round it should be encouraged that you check with the recipient about style preferences. It’s similar to LOT, but that ones so slow and only one persons up at a time. That being said I like the current system of Fotd just fine, so I’m indifferent [emoji58]

I like the current system.

I’m with you preferring this system. I would agree with others the LOT trade is better for mystery boxes. But if someone who has done a few FotD trades can’t pull an offer together in time I think exceptions are perfectly fine like we did with this round.
Now I can’t wait to see what everyone gets. That’s the other fun part of this for me!
Cheers guys!

I would say if it’s mystery round it should be encouraged that you check with the recipient about style preferences. It’s similar to LOT, but that ones so slow and only one persons up at a time. That being said I like the current system of Fotd just fine, so I’m indifferent
emoji58.png

It's not FotD practice though, so I would strongly encourage those interested to either liven up the LOT thread or start yet another Fellowship trade (as someone noted previously).

The LOT is only slow because it's typically a stepping stone to FotD; there is no reason that the LOT couldn't go rapidly, and in fact, it has a few times. It does ebb and flow, but that's typically based on:
a. A long gap between FotD trades
b. Someone trying to get in on FotD needing to be granted

I get it ... it's kind of cool to get an offer of mystery beers, but that is what side trades and LOT are for. Let the FotD stay what it is and limit the number of mystery offers to 0-1 per round. Anyways, I want to see @afro_lou vs @wstbrewing in an oil wrestling match...you still have access to the RV? We can settle it in Missouri/Kansas border (seems close to half way).

XIX contest. Hopsntails style.
I'm going on another island vacation next month. Name that island. Closest gets their pick of 4 Alvarado st. cans. Only available to active participants of this round (and @PianoMan as an honorable mention for trying to get in in the last minutes)
Thanks bro!

I'm going with the world's largest island, Australia!

My attention span isn't my best attribute. Island poll closes tomorrow (9/21) at 5:00PST. No definitive winner yet.

Pretty sure of three things. I'm drunk, only 2/3's ish of the votes are in, and @jimyson is aay better at keeping track of **** than I am

Anyways, I want to see @afro_lou vs @wstbrewing in an oil wrestling match...you still have access to the RV? We can settle it in Missouri/Kansas border (seems close to half way).

I’m game! Whose promoting this event?

I imagine we’d have a hell of a bottle party to pre and post match festivities.

Winner gets to buy the loser a beer? Loser has to drink it...

This may be cheaper to arrange than shipping beer coast to coast. [emoji482]

KC, KS or KC, MO? Bring it! I’ve got the RV ready, and I’ll even come pre-greased.

I’m less confident now that I’m imagining Afro lou covered with crisco driving an RV full of beer down the interstate....

Can you picture the State Troopers face when he pulls Lou over?

Last edited:
I’m less confident not that I’m imagining Afro lou covered with crisco driving an RV full of beer down the interstate....

Can you picture the State Troopers face when he pulls Lou over?

Ha! I'm driving...not going to let him behind the wheel in that condition...he'll be greased up, lubed up, liquored up, and ready to wrastle when we pull in to Kansas City, MI (we'll be coming through from the KS side, so be ready).

A new job has been keeping me busy, and unfortunately managed to run my fridge nearly dry. Thankfully, @afro_lou helped restock my fridge!

Sorry to have missed out on such a great round, but I’m looking forward to the next one!

Attachments

• 18CF9BF8-EDC3-4DAD-B0D0-373EC9F18200.jpeg
    18CF9BF8-EDC3-4DAD-B0D0-373EC9F18200.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Back