Fear the Walking Dead - Jimbo's Beerbos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fear the Walking Dead fans know this years story line included the character Jim who ran a craft brewery before the zombie apocalypse. In tonights episode "Jimbo" finally gave up his recipe. I wrote it down just as it was given on the show...

68% Pilsner malt
15% Wheat malt... Wyerman wheat malt.
7% Flaked oats
10% Vienna malt

40 grams Slovenian pellets... 70 grams Czech Saaz whole hops.

Belgian and French Saison yeast

Mash at 151 to 152. Pitch the yeast at 68 degrees and hold for 10 days. No less.

By using percentages you can scale this up or down to whatever strength you want.

PS. Anyone care to take a stab at what style this is?

That...actually looks like a solid Belgian Saison recipe. I’ve seen a lot of people splitting WY3724 / WY3711 to optimize flavor and attenuation with good results. The only real changes I would make would be to opt for a simple step mash (50 @ 147, 25 @ 162) to boost head retention, and use a different hop for bittering—AAU counts on my Styrian Goldings are absurdly low.

I’ll convert the recipe in BeerSmith and repost the link here.

Depends on what's meant by "Slovenian". It doesn't help that 2017 seems to have been a particularly low alpha year, I can see one retailer with 2016 Wolf at 14.2% and 2016 Cardinal at 8.5%, but the likes of Savijnski and Celeia have been particularly low alpha lately.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/2124138/undead-saison

Batch Size: 5.00 gal. Style: Saison (25B)
Boil Size: 6.22 gal. Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 3.7 SRM. Equipment: Grainfather
Bitterness: 26.2 IBUs. Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.056 (13.8° P). Mash Profile: Belgian Step Mash
Est FG: 1.008 SG (2.0° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 6.4%. Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
7.00 gal Yellow Dry (Under 6 SRM)
6 lbs 12.80 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.00 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
11.20 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Magnum [13.0%] - Boil 60 min
2.30 oz Saaz [4.4%] - Boil 10 min
1.30 oz Styrian Goldings [1.3%] - Boil 5 min
0.75 pkgs Belgian Saison (Wyeast Labs #3724)
0.25 pkgs French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711)

Steal at will.

EDIT: Changed a few of the grain & hop weights to reflect the posted recipe a little more accurately.

Last edited:
Saison, which surprised me -- thought he was making a pilsner for sure. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm going to give it a try!

No spoilers for those who haven't seen last night's episode, but his character has made me laugh every episode -- like when he lost his yeast cake or was trying to save his wort chillers!

Of course, I laughed when he shared his secret recipe last night. As if anyone in the zombie apocalypse could find those ingredients! Jimbo could probably make something with wheat and wild yeast, but unless they stumble into a home brewing supply store, that recipe isn't going to do much good to anyone!

Jimbo's Beerbos
Haha I wrote this down as well. I originally thought it was a Belgian Pale but Saison makes sense. Here's what I got for a recipe. All available from Morebeer.com

12 gallon no sparge batch:

20 lbs Wyermann Pils
5 lbs Wyermann Pale Wheat Malt
3 lbs Wyermann Vienna Malt
2 lbs Flaked Oats
3 oz Styrian Golding FWH
6 oz Whole Saaz Cones @ 10 min

Mash: 151-152
Ferment @ 68 w/ Belgian & French Saison Yeasts (No less than 10 days)
Est ABV: 6.1%

I'll probably try it soon.

That was the point, no one caught what he said, BUT he did tell her something.
I found this with a little Googling:

Do you have the recipe? Because I couldn’t hear what Jim said to Sarah. He whispered that last part. I’m sitting here jotting it all down. What was that last part of the recipe? Fill me in.

ANDREW CHAMBLISS: That is for Jim and Sarah to know, and I guess us. If you really want to make Jim’s beer, you’re going to have to keep watching.

(My guess is that it'll be coriander or something.)

I found this with a little Googling:

Do you have the recipe? Because I couldn’t hear what Jim said to Sarah. He whispered that last part. I’m sitting here jotting it all down. What was that last part of the recipe? Fill me in.

ANDREW CHAMBLISS: That is for Jim and Sarah to know, and I guess us. If you really want to make Jim’s beer, you’re going to have to keep watching.

(My guess is that it'll be coriander or something.)

Told yah ;)

Take note
@kevin58
@Zigs6
@specharka

I just watched the episode too and I'm going to make his recipe, but I think I will wait for the end of the season to see if the secret ingredient comes out :)

So why give grain bill in percentages but hops in weight amounts? By the weight of the hops my guess is that batch size 10 gallons. Maybe the secret ingredient will have something to do with the show, or with Texas. Mesquite flowers? Zombie blood? :(

So why give grain bill in percentages but hops in weight amounts? By the weight of the hops my guess is that batch size 10 gallons. Maybe the secret ingredient will have something to do with the show, or with Texas. Mesquite flowers? Zombie blood? :(

Clearly not zombie blood, lol, as his recipe existed pre-apocalypse ;)

What about what was whispered over the walkie? You ignored that secret ingredient!
Wait....wasn’t the “filthy lady” listening in to the convo on the radio band? Then she wrote the recipe out on dead-jimbo’s face. So she knows the secret ingredient, and it should be written on dead-bo’s face!

Nothing as far as I can tell. I paused the screen on Jim's face several times and could not see anything additional written other than the recipe. No "special ingredient" from what I could see.

Nothing as far as I can tell. I paused the screen on Jim's face several times and could not see anything additional written other than the recipe. No "special ingredient" from what I could see.

There were two screens where Jimbo got face time, and one of them showed his whole face in better lighting. I was too lazy ... figured one of you all would've done it :)

How do you use wort chillers in the post apocalyptic world without running water or ice? Maybe if you were in a cold climate area you could use cold lake water in a bucket and gravity feed it but they were in Texas. Also he had like 30 gallon kettles so I don’t think that would be very effective.

Also I could see maybe finding brewing supplies like grain and hops in an abandoned LHBS but what about yeast? I don’t think you could find a healthy yeast vial so you would probably be going with a cool ship for chilling and yeast propagation.

Also I could see maybe finding brewing supplies like grain and hops in an abandoned LHBS but what about yeast? I don’t think you could find a healthy yeast vial so you would probably be going with a cool ship for chilling and yeast propagation.

Wild yeast, no? You could probably harvest some yeast off fruit skin, too, I would think.

As far as chilling beer; just find a source of running, cool water. If you're brewing tens of gallons it'll be slower; however, in this world it's probably a moot point.

In addition, that gas station had electricity and running water, right? You could easily make ice there for an ice bath. Solar panels are everywhere nowadays, so you could easily fill an 18-wheeler full of panels from these solar farms and/or set up shop there. They're in the desert so you'll have good sight lines as well. You could build a double or trip moat with the first two set up as zombie collectors and the third being your water source. Set-up near an aqueduct, if you want.

Soooooooo many options :)

If Jim was making beer 2+ years in to the apocalypse he was probably maintaining live cultures some where. As for where the survivors are going to find these things, that's going to be harder. But couldn't they just go back to Jim's brewery. They didn't go that far. But I guess that's a plot for next season.

If Jim was making beer 2+ years in to the apocalypse he was probably maintaining live cultures some where. As for where the survivors are going to find these things, that's going to be harder. But couldn't they just go back to Jim's brewery. They didn't go that far. But I guess that's a plot for next season.

SPOILER ALERT

I think you missed the part where his "yeast cake" when up in smoke when the truck was shot up (blew up? I forget). What's a little confusing is where Morgan got the beer from at the end of the episode though if not from that truck. I don't recall the 18-wheeler being in a drivable condition.

Anywhoot, I think whatever Jimbo had left over is gone now, no?

As far as chilling beer; just find a source of running, cool water. If you're brewing tens of gallons it'll be slower; however, in this world it's probably a moot point.

In addition, that gas station had electricity and running water, right? You could easily make ice there for an ice bath. Solar panels are everywhere nowadays, so you could easily fill an 18-wheeler full of panels from these solar farms and/or set up shop there. They're in the desert so you'll have good sight lines as well. You could build a double or trip moat with the first two set up as zombie collectors and the third being your water source. Set-up near an aqueduct, if you want.

Soooooooo many options :)
Actually the gas station thing brings up another error in the writing. If they are supposed to be on the same timeline as the original walking dead then why does Texas have power and running water when Georgia didn’t have either? If nobody is operating the power plant or the water treatment plant then you have nothing.

Wild yeast, no? You could probably harvest some yeast off fruit skin, too, I would think.
Well to make jimbo’s beer “true to style” you would have to use Belgian and French saison yeast like he says but the new post apocalyptic jimbo’s beerbo’s would probably be more like a farmhouse saison because you would have to use wild yeast.

Not having seen the show, but presumably he might be able to harvest yeast from a bottle of beer, or have kept some from a previous batch that he had dried kveik-style? That's the way they've done it in Norway for hundreds of years - brewing still continues even once White Labs and Wyeast have been consumed by zombies.

For electricity - solar and wind power need less active maintenance than something fossil-fuel-powered, or presumably Texas could run generators given local oil, which Georgia doesn't have?

Actually the gas station thing brings up another error in the writing. If they are supposed to be on the same timeline as the original walking dead then why does Texas have power and running water when Georgia didn’t have either? If nobody is operating the power plant or the water treatment plant then you have nothing.

They answer this in a previous episode. I forget specifics, but I think it's solar powered and perhaps that hydroelectric plant contributes to "the grid"? Just speculating a bit here; however, I know they answer the gas station question because one of the people on the show asks How the gas station is operational. I think Morgan asks wheel chair dude and trucker chick.

Well to make jimbo’s beer “true to style” you would have to use Belgian and French saison yeast like he says but the new post apocalyptic jimbo’s beerbo’s would probably be more like a farmhouse saison because you would have to use wild yeast.

People have been preserving and repitching yeast strains (perhaps unwittingly at times) for centuries prior to its discovery and refrigeration. They’re still considered domesticated yeast strains, just not isolated ones.

Wild yeast is a completely different species.

https://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/2124138/undead-saison

Batch Size: 5.00 gal. Style: Saison (25B)
Boil Size: 6.22 gal. Style Guide: BJCP 2015
Color: 3.7 SRM. Equipment: Grainfather
Bitterness: 26.2 IBUs. Boil Time: 60 min
Est OG: 1.056 (13.8° P). Mash Profile: Belgian Step Mash
Est FG: 1.008 SG (2.0° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 6.4%. Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredients
7.00 gal Yellow Dry (Under 6 SRM)
6 lbs 12.80 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs 8.00 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
11.20 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Magnum [13.0%] - Boil 60 min
2.30 oz Saaz [4.4%] - Boil 10 min
1.30 oz Styrian Goldings [1.3%] - Boil 5 min
0.75 pkgs Belgian Saison (Wyeast Labs #3724)
0.25 pkgs French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711)

Steal at will.

EDIT: Changed a few of the grain & hop weights to reflect the posted recipe a little more accurately.

7.00 gal Yellow Dry (Under 6 SRM) ?

7.00 gal Yellow Dry (Under 6 SRM) ?

Mash water/sparge total(?) coloration and spectrum of sweetness? I am only just now watching the entire series and noted all this down. I have a saison going now that I wonder if I can use that yeast cake :D Belle Saison so at least I have half ready to go

I don’t remember who said it but in another episode someone stated that Texas has its own power supply from the rest of the country. And being something of a history buff if Texas ever wanted to separate from the union it can because of the way the state charter was written.

Latest posts

Back