Favourite Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanglec

Reaction score
Excuse the second thread, but figured it made sense to separate it from my other one.

Nice and simple, what is everyone's favorite choice of yeast for Ciders (in whatever form you enjoy the most)?

I had EC-1118 recommended when I first started out by the horrified brew shop owner (yes, I'm one of those who tried it with Baker's Yeast first 😆) and it's been really stable, and always seems to floc well of it's own accord. Tastes decent too which helps (if not a bot champagne-y on the dry side).

Then recently I tried SafCider (E-491) and was blown away by the taste difference. It tasted like apples, and suddenly Champagne yeast tasted bland. That said, it's cloudy as can be, and fizzes up when siphoning breaking the flow repeatedly, so it's a little annoying to strip from my carboy (sans tap, might have to invest in the future).

For Cider from FAJC Fermented at room temp or above I prefer Safeale S-04 or S-05. Yes it is an ale yeast but with a few nutrients is pretty clean and quick 8-12 days primary. I target 1.065 OG and usually stops for me at 1.004 to 1.008 leaving a little sweetness. Because its FAJC and some of the flavor is blown out the airlock I usually add spices, Vanilla, Oak or fruit to help round out the flavor.

For fresh pressed Juice fermented cool 48 - 52 Deg F I prefer Lalvin D47 or Red Stars Cote Des Blancs Ferments real slow at these temps 2 - 4 months but both preserve the apple flavors very well.

I've settled on Lallemand Voss Kveik dry yeast, fermenting at 85-90f. So delicious with simple store-bought apple juice.

S-04, Nottingham and Saison mostly. I've also used Bewers Best Cider House select with good results. But lately I have been letting my freshly pressed juice go wild and it's fantastic!

Nottingham, then S-04. Then backsweeten with about 18% of the original juice.

I have ran 3, one gallon batches with Wyeast 4766 and have been very happy.

Mangrove Jack's M02- Been using it for years. Nice and clean. Leaves a lot of apple characteristic. Doesn't strip flavor like wine yeast and others.

Imperial Napoleon- A saison yeast that adds complexity and a little of the phenolic profile. Floccs like a mofo. Tastes "mature" in just weeks. Second year using it and it may become my standard cider yeast.

Imperial Bubbles- First year experimenting but so far I am impressed. Throws off a lot of sulfur but doesn't seem to strip flavor and body. I have a batch of this that's been in fermenter for 6 weeks and I think the terminal gravity will be 1.002

I use Fermaid O and a touch of DAP in all of my ciders.

My go to for all my ciders - including faux ice is D47.

For me, it does a great job of creating a very tasty cider and leaves caramel syrup consistency lees.

Cheers!

Back