High abv, dry yeast mead that is hearty/robust?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otherchuck

Reaction score
Greetings all!

Getting back into brewing mead after being away from it for several years. I prefer my meads to be high abv and dry. For the first few mead batches I did, I used Lalvin DV-10. I was pleased with the performance of the yeast generally, though there were flavor overtones that were maybe not exactly my cuppa tea. Not a purist or connoisseur here...it was fine...but as I re-engaged the hobby recently, I tried EC-1118.

Just started my second EC-1118 batch yesterday...the first batch has been racked into the secondary, and the 5 gal batch I brewed yesterday is already fermenting vigorously in the primary. I have seen EC-1118 described as a 'beast' and that appears to be an apt description; fermentation activity is easily what I would describe as robust. My first batch started around OG 1.100 and was a little under zero when I racked it into the secondary.

I tasted a bit of that first batch as I racked it into the secondary, and...though alcohol-y, and though not a good time to judge the final character...I liked what I was tasting. Note however, that I have not yet tasted a final, aged EC-1118 product.

And yet, I think some folks disparage EC-1118, maybe becuz some folks think it blows through varietal subtleties.

So here is my philosophical question: For my next batch should I experiment with a different yeast for the sake of learning more about the range of opportunities open to me, or should I fall back on EC-1118 because that seems to be the 'fool-proof' option?

Though I love the 'beast-like' qualities of EC-1118, I suppose I should (in the spirit of exploration and adventure) probably broaden my horizons by trying a different high abv yeast, and if I choose that path, what about KV-1116? Other high abv suggestions are welcomed here.

I don't want to try anything too tempermental or fragile. I live in a very hot part of southern California, USA, but I have what amounts to a type of 'basement' (yes, I know we don't usually have those in SoCal); because of that, my mead benefits from a super stable temperature environment in the upper 60's F.

Thanks for any advice, insight, or recommendations!

Otherchuck

There’s a thread a few pots down about people favorite dry yeasts for meads, that’s a good place to start as it’s a recent thread that got lots of input.

Edit: using a staggered nutrient protocol (TOSNA or BOMM), degassing, and step feeding honey/sugars; most strain of yeast can be pushed well past their advertised abv threshold.

Last edited:
Different strokes foe different folks. I tried 1118 for my first few brews. It does a great job. Then I tried some other yeasts, K1-V1116 is my fav so far for my wines, US-05 for my ciders, haven't done enough meads to pick a fav for them.
If you are doing gallon batches switch them up. But it will suck to do 5 only to find out you hate what the yeast left behind.
Just my opinion.

Different strokes foe different folks. I tried 1118 for my first few brews. It does a great job. Then I tried some other yeasts, K1-V1116 is my fav so far for my wines, US-05 for my ciders, haven't done enough meads to pick a fav for them.
If you are doing gallon batches switch them up. But it will suck to do 5 only to find out you hate what the yeast left behind.
Just my opinion.

K1-V1116 has been working out well for my mead. I haven't done any comparisons with other yeasts yet, though.

Cotes des blanc, D47, Premier Cuvee all work pretty well with a good SNA or TOZNA protocol. I tafget 1.125 OG and am able to drive to completion 1.000 or less with any of the yeadt mentioned above.

Back