Favorite new hop variety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
What's everyone's favorite "newer" hop variety? I'm talking about anything thats come along in the post-Citra boom. I've been going through all these awesome NZ/AU hops, but I think this German Hallertau Blanc takes the cake for me. Its kinda like a more flowery Nelson that doesn't come off as dank.

I'm shamelessly bumping my thread since this got pushed off the newest threads page before I even had a chance to refresh...

I like AU Summer a lot. Its flavor is unique, but it can be used in some more traditional styles without being totally off base.

Polaris is definitely interesting. I like adding a 1/4 oz or so to other hops as an accent. Too much is toothpaste.

Big fan of Mosaic, but that may be bumped off the top as I start experimenting with more of the hops from down under.

Yeah, Mosaic is pretty amazing. I've tried a lot of the more recent US hops (Kohatu, Jarrylo, Waimea) but I haven;t found any that I enjoy as much as Mosiac. Although Meridian is very nice to compliment the finishing hops. Its like a sugary lemon flavor

I like AU Summer a lot. Its flavor is unique, but it can be used in some more traditional styles without being totally off base.

Polaris is definitely interesting. I like adding a 1/4 oz or so to other hops as an accent. Too much is toothpaste.

So polaris really does have an icebreakers mint flavor? I have been afraid to order some cause I can;t see that fitting into one of my brews. (Aside from a cucumber mint saison I once made)

So polaris really does have an icebreakers mint flavor? I have been afraid to order some cause I can;t see that fitting into one of my brews. (Aside from a cucumber mint saison I once made)

I have used polaris as a bittering hop since it's over 21% AA and at that point I only need a half an ounce or so. Typically I have paired with chinook, so whatever menthol flavor it may have gets washed out by the time the boil's out.

I recently did a pale ale with Citra and Exp5256.
It turned out a nice light citrusy ale.
I had not used Citra before either so I don't really know which contributed what to the flavor and aroma.

I've enjoyed beers with Archer, Jester and Endeavor. I'm fairly sure they are all fairly recent (last couple of years)

It has a pronounced minty/artificial blue flavor, and a stunningly high oil percentage, a little goes a long way. But i find a touch of it (like 20% of an addition) with herbal and spicy hops, like challenger, or sterling, brightens them up.

I used Summer with Cascade in an APA. Waiting for it to carb now and I cant wait!

I'm really enjoying Vic Secret

I've shied away from that one just cause I can't imagine why they slapped that awful name on it when so many other hops names sound awesome. What's ti like?

update:

Sandshrew IPA with Armadillo hops is great! I used all 8oz I ordered and bombed it at flameout. It is strangely similar to amarillo with less floral notes and a more founded fruit character thats less centered on citrus.

Otto Supreme saison is still fermenting but smells like a peach cobbler

But I've gone through a pound of hallertau blanc now and its easily still my favorite. I just need to find the perfect hop to pair it with...

Any good new hops that are not fruity? Earthy / floral / spicy? I've had some Archer last year but the two dry hops I did with it both got infected. Seemed floral, mellow and slightly fruity.

.....isnt that like most of the spectrum of what hops can smell/taste like? I mean if you take out fruity floral earthy and spicy, whats left? herbal piney and citrus(maybe)?

I know Polaris is supposed to have a minty character...

I recently got some Mandarina Bavaria to use in a saison. Supposedly has a fruity, citrusy, Mandarin Orange flavor which should be interesting.

I think a good idea for the forum would be to open up threads for all hop varieties as a place for people to post their impressions of all the various hops out there. There are so many hop varieties out there with limited or generic info on aroma/flavor that its hard to figure out which ones you want to choose for experimental brews. Gotta scour the web for any firsthand experiences with each one.

Apollo

...And all of its dank and piney uniqueness. Not too many brewers are using it outside of bittering purposes and that is a shame.

Similar to Columbus hops, it is a welcoming addition in a world where we are inundated with so many fruity, tropical, and citrusy American varieties.

Just brewed a Pale Ale using Polaris for bittering and German Hull Mellon for aroma. The Hull Mellon hops give off such a nice strawberry aroma. Great beer to ferment using brett next time.

Back