New Hop Combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirblator

Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread about new hop combos. I purchased Bru-1, Sabro, and Strata recently and was having trouble finding hop combos that had been done with these hops, other than the NEIPA Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic combos.

I brewed an APA this week with Sabro and Strata. I heard Sabro has an overbearing coconut/minty/cedar flavor while Strata has a tropical fruit/dank flavor. I'm hoping these play well together. I am also planning on doing a Bru-1 and Sabro APA to try to achieve a pina colada flavor.

If anyone else has been experimenting with newer hop varieties I would love to hear about it.

I'm old... I'm tired.... Get off my lawn....
I've researched Sabro.. Yuck. I'd use if attempting an exclusive myrcene tropical IPA, which I'm personally not fond of.
Strata has some promise as a very versatile hop. I think we'll see more of this in the future.

Sabro needs to be used very sparingly. Maybe 20% of the total hop bill and it will still be strong. Strata plays well with a lot of hops and helps bring that dank earthy notes to it which helps layer complexity.

I'm old... I'm tired.... Get off my lawn....
I've researched Sabro.. Yuck. I'd use if attempting an exclusive myrcene tropical IPA, which I'm personally not fond of.
Strata has some promise as a very versatile hop. I think we'll see more of this in the future.

I'm relieved to hear that about Strata. I still have some left so hopefully I can put it to good use. Maybe single hopped beer to see what it brings to the table alone.

Sabro needs to be used very sparingly. Maybe 20% of the total hop bill and it will still be strong. Strata plays well with a lot of hops and helps bring that dank earthy notes to it which helps layer complexity.

This is what I read as well, and despite that I used it at 33% of the hop bill. It smelled so good fresh out the bag I couldn't resist. I have tasted the wort it does have an interesting mint sensation on the back of the palate, hopefully it doesn't become overbearing.

Strata is pretty damn good. Sabro smells unreal out of the bag but can get really cedar forward in high amounts. I need to use it more to really figure it out.

Been using some HBC586 and Zappa recently. HBC586 isn’t as strong as Sabro but seems to have a very similar tropical profile without the wood. Zappa is really potent and has that strong weed like aroma but would be cool with Strata.

BRU-1 is really strong pineapple but it also can have a really odd earthy/herbal aspect to it.

Don't know if cashmere qualifies as a newer hop. I did a blonde using cashmere and mosaic and it is wonderful.

I have Ariana and Calista on hand too. Anyone with good combo for them?

I have never heard of Ariana or Calista. Where did you get those from?

They’re new German “Aroma” varieties... they definitely can’t really stand on their own especially when mixed with prominent hops from NZ/Aus/US but they are interesting and add complexity to a blend. Ariana has a little more punch than most of these varieties.

I was not aware Ariana and Calista are now available in the US.
Most of my brews are Germanic style.
The introduction of something "new" in German brewing is very intriguing !

Just wanted to give an update. I tasted some hydrometer samples last night and I am really liking my Sabro and Strata hop combo. Lots of tropical fruit without being overbearing, I think the Strata is helping balance out Sabro. I dry hopped the beer with 1 oz Sabro and 2 oz Strata, will keg Saturday.

Been using some HBC586 and Zappa recently. [...] Zappa is really potent and has that strong weed like aroma but would be cool with Strata.
I did a Zappa-Azacca quasi-NEIPA and I don't get the weed or resin characteristics a lot of folks seem to get. On the hand, a BJCP judge called it "bong water in a good way". I mean, I grew up in a household with folks who regularly toke, even though I don't myself, and Zappa doesn't have the same characteristics. YMMV of course.

We are currently drinking a Denali and Mandarina Bavaria old-school American IPA and its really good. I used Chinook for the 60 minute bittering addition, then added both Denali and Mandarina Bavaria at 15, 10, and 5 minutes. Then dry hopped with both of them for four days.

Its citrus, orange, and lemon, with a little herbal background. Estimated 81 IBUs.

We've got an American Pale Ale dry hopping right now, featuring a new-to-me hop, Julius. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Strata + Idaho7 make a nice NEIPA

I’d like to second this. I did a recent Pale Ale with this combo plus a touch of Simcoe and it’s really stellar.

Idaho 7 heavy on the hotside and Strata heavy on the DH. It’s the closest you can come to Southern Hemisphere like hop character with American hops. It honestly tastes nothing like a beer hopped with American hops. It’s nuts.

I will give an update once its keged and settled but I just finished te last dryhop on a Triple NEIPA and hopped it with Riwaka, Nelson, Citra, and Columbus and the hydrometer sample tasted extremely good. Nose was solid and can’t wait to see how much the carb elevates the aroma.

We are currently drinking a Denali and Mandarina Bavaria old-school American IPA and its really good. I used Chinook for the 60 minute bittering addition, then added both Denali and Mandarina Bavaria at 15, 10, and 5 minutes. Then dry hopped with both of them for four days.

Its citrus, orange, and lemon, with a little herbal background. Estimated 81 IBUs.

We've got an American Pale Ale dry hopping right now, featuring a new-to-me hop, Julius. I'll let you know how it turns out.

I did a Julius hopped blue moon clone and the orange was quite nice. I would like to try in a pale, perhaps with Voss Kveik to really overdo it.

Just wanted to give an update. I tasted some hydrometer samples last night and I am really liking my Sabro and Strata hop combo. Lots of tropical fruit without being overbearing, I think the Strata is helping balance out Sabro. I dry hopped the beer with 1 oz Sabro and 2 oz Strata, will keg Saturday.
How was the final product? I have 8 oz of Strata that I can't wait to use. Definitely doing a single hop pale ale with half of it and considering Strata/Sabro for the other 4 oz

Don't know if cashmere qualifies as a newer hop. I did a blonde using cashmere and mosaic and it is wonderful.

Glad to hear this combo worked out nicely. I used the same combo in a milkshake IPA I brewed just now. Also, threw in some Calypso hops. I've had plenty of beers with Mosaic but haven't really come across cashmere. Took a gamble on it.

I like Cashmere. Got a citrusy flavor heavy on the lemon/lime from it in the beers I did. I went through 1/2 lb of Calypso and wasn't a fan. Just seemed very subtle, got drowned out by whatever hop it was paired with

I currently have an experimental brew in the conical, using progress and Vojvodina hops.
While I enjoy the typical, mainstream, citrusy / piney hope varieties, I am also interested in woody, earthy, tobacco, cedar, hop varieties.
Anxious to see how this turns out.
Hope I'm not making a sawdust, wood beer !
I'll post the result...

Glad to hear this combo worked out nicely. I used the same combo in a milkshake IPA I brewed just now. Also, threw in some Calypso hops. I've had plenty of beers with Mosaic but haven't really come across cashmere. Took a gamble on it.
I would expect it to turn out well, make sure to post so we can see how it worked out.

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I’m old and tired too, of using the same hops all the time.

What are some of the “new” hops that would work well in an American Pale Ale? I’m especially interested in flavor and aroma hops that could be used in place of Cascade or Centennial. Are there even higher alpha bittering hops that people use for flavor and aroma additions?

Some I heard of but have not used are Athanum, El Dorado, and Mosaic. I’m sure there are many others. I have used Simcoe and Citra.

For the record, I am interested in old school APA - not NEIPA, hazy, etc.

bwible - If you haven't used Ahtanum, El Dorado and Mosaic, then this is your chance. A hop that hasn't been used as extensively as the ones mentioned above, would be Comet. Bravo is another understated one. An old-school Pale needs a bit of pine, spicy, herbal notes, so a bit of Chinook, Loral, Simcoe could work well.

Sorry to drag up an old thread. I’m old and tired too, of using the same hops all the time.

What are some of the “new” hops that would work well in an American Pale Ale? I’m especially interested in flavor and aroma hops that could be used in place of Cascade or Centennial. Are there even higher alpha bittering hops that people use for flavor and aroma additions?

Some I heard of but have not used are Athanum, El Dorado, and Mosaic. I’m sure there are many others. I have used Simcoe and Citra.

For the record, I am interested in old school APA - not NEIPA, hazy, etc.
What do you specifically prefer in hop profile? Resinous? Floral? Spicy? Fruit forward?

What do you specifically prefer in hop profile? Resinous? Floral? Spicy? Fruit forward?
I like Cascade but the last couple pale ales I’ve made with it have not turned out well. Not sure why - whether the 8 oz bag of Cascade I got is old or what. It doesn’t smell bad or anything in the bag but it doesn’t taste good in the beer. Like SNPA, etc. I also like Centennial as a late hop. Simcoe not as much - catty or whatever. Citra is good but doesn’t have that pine.

I like Cascade but the last couple pale ales I’ve made with it have not turned out well. Not sure why - whether the 8 oz bag of Cascade I got is old or what. It doesn’t smell bad or anything in the bag but it doesn’t taste good in the beer. Like SNPA, etc. I also like Centennial as a late hop. Simcoe not as much - catty or whatever. Citra is good but doesn’t have that pine.
One of my favorite west coast hop combos is chinook, cascade, and Citra that would make a great pale. A friend of mine just did a summit and Amarillo pale ale and it was really good. Dank earthyness with a really nice floral citrus character. That one seems kinda up your alley. If you really like pine. You may want to use chinook with it as well

I might like to do a single hop pale ale to get a sense for a new hop. Like all Mosaic, or something like that.

I just put up a barleywine, used Warrior and Chinook in that one. My first use of Warrior and I like the way that smells.

The possibilities are endless really. Pairing new hops with a more classic variety is maybe my favorite thing to do now. Gives that “familiar” taste and aroma to a new profile.

cascade, Citra, Mosaic
Strata, Chinook
Citra, Chinook
Columbus, Strata

Been using a bunch of Mt Hood lately which is nice. Crystal can add a cool touch as well.

The possibilities are endless really. Pairing new hops with a more classic variety is maybe my favorite thing to do now. Gives that “familiar” taste and aroma to a new profile.

cascade, Citra, Mosaic
Strata, Chinook
Citra, Chinook
Columbus, Strata

Been using a bunch of Mt Hood lately which is nice. Crystal can add a cool touch as well.

What did the Columbus/Strata combo yield for flavor/mouthfeel?

What did the Columbus/Strata combo yield for flavor/mouthfeel?

The only hops I find that really affect mouthfeel are the Australian hops. They tend to add body.

Strata dominated flavor and aroma just used a bit of Columbus to pump up the “dankness” of the Strata.

Forgot I just did a beer that was

2oz 2017 Cascade at 30
1oz Citra @ 5
3oz Mosaic WP
Strata/Chinook leaf in Hopback

Strata/2017 Cascade in DH

just took the first pull and it’s fantastic. Great blend of newer fruit forward aromas and flavors but with that added depth of Chinook/Cascade grapefruit and resin.

Found this 2017 Cascade that’s insane. $3/lb and so damn good. Don’t write off old hops. I’ve got some 2018 Citra and Mosaic right now that I love too.

Looking to dry hop for the first time,
I'm looking for something to blend well with the whirlpool hops (see recipe at the bottom)

I'm thinking maybe 1-3 oz of either;
El Dorado
CTZ
Waimea
Pacific Jade
Rakau
Azacca

Below is the recipe for an IPA,

Malts (15 lb 15 oz)
9 lb — Simpsons Pale Ale Golden Promise
3 lb — Viking Malt Munich Dark
1 lb 8 oz — Briess Rye, Flaked
1 lb — Dingemans Caravienne Malt
1 lb — Briess Oats, Flaked — Grain
7 oz — Briess Rice Hulls — Adjunct

HOPS-

Boil
0.2 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) 16.1% — Boil — 60 min
0.2 oz Pacific Jade 13% — Boil — 60 min

Whirlpool
3 oz — Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) 16.1%
2.5 oz — Waimea 16%
2 oz — Pacific Jade 13%

A spanish brewery made a beer using Incognito hops and it was Citra and Incognito Sabro at whirpool and then DH with the Incognito Sabro, it was harsh but amazing, probably due to the nature of the product

Back