FastFerment Conical Fermenter PRESALE- $90 Shipped!!! Only 1000 units!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered one a few weeks ago. I'll be making a stand for it. This will fit nicely in my fermentation room. Filling it from my brew kettle will be my only concern, but I'll figure that out.

Any word on how many have sold so far? I really would love to have one if not more. But the paycheck doesn't come in til next week :( . Hoping there are some still available then.

I am in the same boat. Luckily, the price for them will only go up $25, so it will still be worth it in my opinion to get a few more. Can clear some space with all of my carboys and buckets.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Ordered now I guess I just have to wait a month for it to get her. Oh well it gives me time to figure out what will be the test brew.

If you use it as primary and secondary, what do you do with the crap floating at the top from the yeast? You cant pour your priming mix in with it before bottling.

Thinking about ordering but I am wondering how well will these work for big beers like Double IPAs and Barley Wine (OG 1.080+)?. The 7 gallon capacity might be tight for a primary on a 5 gallon batch without a blow off tube. Also how well do they work for dry hopping? Dry hopping might require multiple empties of the collection ball and cause clogging. Every time the ball is emptied and replaced that volume of air goes up through the beer. That does not seem good either. If I have to rack to a secondary it would defeat the purpose.

I'm sure a blow off tube can be rigged up same as a bucket.
For the hop issue, I always dry hop in a bag (I prefer whole cone hops when I can get them, which is most of the time).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't think clogging will be an issue, it has a one inch valve. You may just have to dump a few more times.

As for the air issue, I don't think that will be a problem, if it was I would think they would have addressed it. If changing the ball did air, it would think the air bubbles would instantly rise to the top and escape through the air lock. Guess I will have to wait until I get it to see.

I ordered two of them as soon as I saw them. I had been looking for something like this, even considered manufacturing and selling them myself! I was glad someone addressed some efficiency and sanitation concerns and easily harvesting yeast was the killer app!

My question is about a blow off tube. Does this have a 1" bung or a way to add more capacity than a bubbler?

I think the lid has a grommet for the air lock, but you can hook a hose up to a 3 piece air lock pretty easily. Not sure a blow off tube is needed with 2 gallons of head space unless doing really big beers though.

Thanks for the replies! I am going to put my order in. I hope in the future they do increase the size a bit more for us high gravity folks. For now I think I will add a few drops of Fermcap-S rather than mess with a blow off tube if needed.

@coldfeet- this is the simple way I do blow off tubes. Works pretty well for me. Ignore the dirtiness of the airlock. This one is retired.

Oops. Forgot picture. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407368333.796081.jpg

I ordered one a few weeks ago. I'll be making a stand for it. This will fit nicely in my fermentation room. Filling it from my brew kettle will be my only concern, but I'll figure that out.

I will probably build my own stand too unless they give me a killer deal because I was a pre-order guy, but if you create a design for one, please share. I'd love to see an idea to do it.

I am really excited for theses. I ordered 2. I have been wanting a conical for awhile, just couldn't afford stainless. I like the idea of being able to cap the ball and put in the fridge to reuse the yeast.

I just wonder if when you open the valve air will be released into the beer as others have mentioned. I don't think it will be a problem, but I am wondering a little bit.

I might make a stand too, although the price for the ones they are selling are in the $25-35 range I believe. Overall, it looks like it will be a pretty good fermenter and can't wait to get it!

I will probably build my own stand too unless they give me a killer deal because I was a pre-order guy, but if you create a design for one, please share. I'd love to see an idea to do it.

We have steel rings of various diameter at work. One for the top to hold the fermenter, a few pieces of angle iron and a larger ring for the bottom. A little welding, a little grinding, a coat of paint. Done.
All I need to figure out is how tall I want it.

I ordered 2 of these as well. Wondering if they will shed any plastic taste into the beer? Maybe filling them with a water/baking soda solution and letting them soak overnight before using them will help leech out any plastic flavors?

It's made from HDPE food grade plastic. I don't think it will be any different from using a plastic carboy or bucket. However, soaking won't hurt anything and if it gives you peace of mind, I say go for it. I will probably soak mine overnight with PBW to clean it and then sanitize it.

Can't wait to get mine! Should save me some time and water since I won't need to rack to a secondary and can more easily harvest yeast.

Got an email today stating production will be pushed to mid-September because of them making refinements and quality testing. Due to that, they will be sending an extra collection ball. I am cool with that.

They also plan on having the accessories ready and available to ship such as the stands and stuff.

Same here. Looking at it much like a kickstarter venture. The bonuses show some serious good intentions of the company, personally. And I was going to buy an extra ball or two, anyway.

I was going to buy some more also so I could store yeast a little longer. I can easily wait a few more weeks if it means a better product and a an additional part I wanted anyway.

Funny... I ordered one as well, and I don't recall getting an email... 'course it could have gotten lost in the dozens of emails I get per day. :)

I just got the email today. Basically says they are sorry about the delay, but will giving everyone an extra collection ball. They also plan to have the accessories like stands and thermometers ready to ship/sell at the same time. They sold out of the additional 1000 but will sell another 500 at the $90 price.

Yea, I'm really impressed that they are providing the extra harvesting ball because of the delay.

Sent from my Home Brew using Home Brew

The height works out for me, if I make a small stand. Kettle on counter, then it on the floor on a stand. I really wonder how much the short stands will be to buy...

I didn't get a note about an extra collection ball. You say that you got an email?

I just got the email today. Basically says they are sorry about the delay, but will giving everyone an extra collection ball. They also plan to have the accessories like stands and thermometers ready to ship/sell at the same time. They sold out of the additional 1000 but will sell another 500 at the $90 price.

Yes. You had to have placed an order before August 6 I believe. Maybe the email went to your junk mail?

I didn't get an email either. I ordered in June, if I remember correctly.

\

I ordered in July ... I emailed Casey from FF to confirm, but haven't heard back Perhaps they'll post in this thread.

I wouldn't worry if you haven't received an email yet. Probably went to your junk mail.

This company is legit, the fast racks are great. The additional collection bowl is worth the wait.

Back