ezRecipe-RO - Brand New Web Based Recipe Designer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewyBrewer

ezRecipe - The Easy Way To Awesome Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ezRecipe-RO_v2-bborg.jpg

Packed with advanced features not found anywhere else. Hop storage index calculations to predict the rate of alpha acid loss over time. Fully editable hop and grain ingredient lists. And a super intuitive user interface that allows you to design an entire recipe on a single page. Let ezRecipe-RO help you design a perfect beer recipe and brewing water combination for your next beer.

ezRecipe-RO is available at www.ezhomebrewing.com/ezrecipe/ezRecipe-FREE.htm

Last edited:
Below is in regards to ezBIAB

Hop absorption needs units clarified, is it gallons per oz, fl oz per oz? etc etc

Kettle capacity and kettle information looks like it's reversed?

The Inches to gallons section isn't exactly clear. When is that wort height for, preboil, postboil? Is it accounting for thermal expansion, if so at what %?

No need to disply square or cubic inches.

No info for recipe batch size (cooled volume into fermenter is standard), makeup water split to sparge and top off water? Strike, and mash temps aren't listed.

Would suggest changing the readonly / disabled text fields to a different color so it's obvious what's a calculated cell and what's an input cell.

Thank you pricelessbrewing for providing your detailed feedback of ezBIAB. I take your comments very seriously and will address each item in future releases. The addition of a Help, or How To page, is currently under development as well. Users will definitely benefit by having a clear understanding of the data entered and the predicted results.

Last edited:
A new smartphone version of ezBIAB is now available! This latest release has been thoroughly tested on all Apple iPhones and many other smartphones and tablets including HTC, Nexus, Sony, Samsung and more. Also included in this release a new 'Help' page to get you started.

Layout is much better this time around screwy. Tested on pixel, and nexus 5x on chrome and firefox, and a responsive website tester.. Doesn't look like the mobile version, or the desktop version is that responsive but limited to two columns, which works fine!

Hop absorption should have units clarified, Ounces/ Fl oz, ounces per gallon, gallon per ounces?

I'll get around to testing the formulas at some point for the recipe designer too but it'll be awhile.

Thank you for your honest, and helpful, feedback Mark. I will take each point into consideration. As a labor of love, brewing calculator development continues to be a work in progress, and a source of great enjoyment.

ezRecipe and ezBIAB were originally designed to be used in a desktop web browser. Porting them over, to run on an ever growing number of tablets, smartphones and other devices is a challenge. Ultimately not all mobile devices will be supported, of that I am convinced.

The screen shots below show how ezBIAB Mobile looks when displayed, from left to right, on an iPhone4 an iPhone5 and an iPhone6plus.

tooltips.jpg

Also new in this release are 'Tooltips' to describe each field's usage. Hover your mouse pointer over a field label and read what it's used for.

ezRecipe version 1.07 is now available. This release has been formatted and tested to run on PC's, laptops, iPads, iPad Air, iPad minis, and other popular mobile devices. With increased performance, streamlined design and integrated help tips, ezRecipe is now easier to use than ever.

ezRecipe-FB-3sml.png

Just hover a mouse pointer, or tap on a touch screen device, and instantly display useful help tips anywhere on your screen.

Each release of ezRecipe has been tested using Internet Explorer, Chrome, FireFox, Safari and Opera browsers.

reset.jpg

Use the 'Recipe Reset' button at the bottom of the page to quickly clear out recipe selections previously entered in ezRecipe.

Clicking the 'Recipe Reset' button can also resolve page formatting issues sometimes encountered when using new versions of ezRecipe.

Of course, when all else fails, clearing the web browser cache will also do the trick.

ezRecipe standard version 1.23 is now available.
  • Fixed issue with percentage calculation for kettle adjuncts
  • Optimized mash pH prediction using Gen 1 calculations
  • Reduced code size for improved performance
ez1_23a.jpg

ez1_23b.jpg

For those following this thread. Later today I will be brewing a 10-gallon batch of this recipe and posting my results here as the day goes on.

Maris Otter [Muntons]
Flaked Barley [LD Carlson]
Roasted Barley [Briess]

Last edited:
where do you add your starting water profile ?
@Ozarks_Mountain_Brew version 1.23 uses distilled or RO water as its source water. To use another type of water source you can try adding salts and minerals until the ppm closely match those on your most recent water report. And then further adjust your water properties to match your beer style and grain bill. I know not everyone uses RO or distilled water for brewing and this will be addressed in future releases.

Last edited:
In my mind yesterday turned out to be the perfect day for brewing a Stout. Outside it was sunny cold and windy. Inside the brew room, it was nice and warm and cozy. The rich aromas of dark roasted malt reminded me of how much I look forward to my morning coffee. My son stopped over to catch up and lend a hand when needed which made the day even better.

For the 10-gallon batch recipe, the actual original gravity (below) came in at 1.054, about 1.003 points higher than ezRecipe had predicted.

hzydaz1a-sml.jpg

ezRecipe predicted a mash pH of 5.41 and the actual pH sampled 30 minutes into the mash measured 5.44 pH.

hzydaz1c-sml.jpg

All in all, yesterday was a very productive and enjoyable brew day. I starting preparing the mash at 10 AM and had everything cleaned and put away by 5 PM.

For anyone interested in replicating my findings, here is the 10-gallon batch recipe used. The recipe was brewed on a 15-gallon High Gravity eBIAB RIMS system using 100% reverse osmosis source water.

ez1_23c.jpg

ez1_23d.jpg

How did the actual 30 and/or 60 minute mash pH compare to predicted?

Just a heads-up. Unless I'm mistaken, a lactose addition did not raise my predicted FG as it should have due to its essential unfermentability. Maltodextrin would be a good option also.... Call me crazy, but occasionally I add maltodextrin to all grain recipes.

I did take a pH reading 60 minutes into the mash and it came out as 5.38 pH at 71F. I'll admit I've never used Lactose in any of my beers although I have used Maltodextrin in the kettle once as an experiment. My son brought over some Left Hand Brewing's Nitro Milk Stout which we drank. And later in the day had us both convinced we must be borderline lactose intolerant.

hzydaz1d-sml.jpg

Just a heads-up. Unless I'm mistaken, a lactose addition did not raise my predicted FG as it should have due to its essential unfermentability. Maltodextrin would be a good option also.... Call me crazy, but occasionally I add maltodextrin to all grain recipes.
Hi Larry, can you be a bit more specific? I want to fully understand your feedback but I'm not quite there yet.

Hi Larry, can you be a bit more specific? I want to fully understand your feedback but I'm not quite there yet.

I believe lactose was 'effectively' fermented by your software, but it is not fermentable. The FG should be higher after adding lactose. Perhaps I did something wrong at my end.

I believe lactose was 'effectively' fermented by your software, but it is not fermentable. The FG should be higher after adding lactose. Perhaps I did something wrong at my end.
Ok @Silver_Is_Money perfect and thank you for pointing this out. I would never have found the error without your help. I will include a fix in my next release.

I added support for Type 'Other' categorizing Lactose as an unfermentable. This allows Lactose to increase the recipe's OG and it's FG as one would expect when increasing smoothness and mouthfeel with lower attenuation.
ez1_23e-sml.jpg

ez1_23f-sml.jpg

Last edited:
Ok @Silver_Is_Money perfect and thank you for pointing this out. I would never have found the error without your help. I will include a fix in my next release.

I added support for Type 'Other' categorizing Lactose as an unfermentable. This allows Lactose to increase the recipe's OG without increasing it's FG. Just as one would expect when increasing smoothness and mouthfeel with lower attenuation.

You're gaining on it, but lactose raises both OG and FG.

ezRecipe v1.24 is now available. Resolved a reported issue with the final gravity calculation for a 'Milk Sugar, Lactose' kettle addition. Updated a few more of the Tool Tips to include changes in the 'Post Boil/Fermenter Volume' and 'Average Specific/Boil Gravity' label rollovers.

ez1_243a-sml.jpg

ez1_243b-sml.jpg

Does it have a way to set the nominal apparent attenuation of the yeast to an attenuation that matches with real world experience, and not with manufacturers suggested attenuation figures?

Does it have a way to set the nominal apparent attenuation of the yeast to an attenuation that matches with real world experience, and not with manufacturers suggested attenuation figures?
That’s in the works for the beta release of ezRecipe. For now it uses 75% AA which is the ‘average’ of most yeast types.

Last edited:
The metric version of ezRecipe v1.24 is now available. This version includes all updates in the standard version with added support for EBC grain color. The example below shows the original recipe from post #27 entered using metric values.

** Changes made on the Profiles, Hops and Grains tabs will instantly appear on the ezRecipe tab **

ez1_24eu-a.jpg

ez1_24eu-b.jpg

After fermenting a batch of this recipe at 67F using Danstar Windsor "British-Style Beer Yeast". I was surprised when 50% apparent attenuation was all Windsor could coax from this recipe. Mashed at 152F the original gravity was 1.056 and the final gravity 1.026. A hydrometer sample tasted like I thought a nice chocolaty under 4% alcohol Stout should taste like. Just perfect for a holiday dinner with thirsty family and friends. For those interested in water properties. Starting with straight RO or distilled water adjust to the following:
11ppm of Mg+2
12ppm of Ca+2
12ppm Na+
21ppm Cl-
43ppm SO4-2
You will be pleasantly surprised too.

Last edited:
@Silver_Is_Money I wanted to hear your thoughts on this. The OG/FG and ABV calculations assume an average yeast attenuation of 75%. In my experience using an average AA% works out very close for the majority of beers I brew. There are outliers though when using certain combinations of yeast and grains. Case in point is Danstar Windsor English Ale yeast which is stated as having 63% apparent attenuation. Recently I used it to ferment a Stout but the attenuation based on hydrometer samples was only 53%. So my question is how would someone know the attenuation rate of the yeast used in a recipe ahead of time? I've added a section in the next release of ezRecipe that I think will be helpful.

ez1_25-a.jpg

You can never know the precise %AA you will get in advance, but you generally want to know it post fermentation so you can get a far better handle on the ABV (but you have the post fermentation %AA covered adequately already).

%AA's generally range from about 60% to about 85%, so targeting 75% is not always (IMHO) the best plan. Simply let the end user put in his/her best guess as to the initially anticipated %AA.

You can always leave 75% as a default, and let the end user override the default if/as they desire.

I think a custom attenuation would be a nice touch to add just like Brewers friend because many brewers have a different final gravity and that would please the people who don't brew perfectly and trust me everyone brews different, all it changes is the final gravity and alcohol level
Yes agreed and it's in the works. Thanks again for your feedback.

@Ozarks_Mountain_Brew the next release of ezRecipe v1.25 will include a new Yeast section that integrates yeast type, attenuation, and fermentation temperature into recipe calculations. Select a yeast attenuation rate from a drop-down list of 10 predefined options. Then enter a fermentation temperature to increase the accuracy of each recipe.

ez1_25-a.jpg

Here is a 10-gallon recipe where ezRecipe did an excellent job of predicting the actual wort volume, color, mash pH and original gravity. I'd add IBUs to the list if I had a way of measuring bitterness. As shown below 13.5 gallons was my pre-boil wort volume and 11.75 gallons my post boil wort volume. 12 gallons of strike water was treated with minerals and lactic acid to target a 5.21 mash pH measured at 30 minutes into the mash. This is the second time brewing this recipe where the predicted and actual values were very very close.

ez-concolor1.jpg

ez-concolor2.jpg

View attachment 607065 View attachment 607066 Screwy, using your calculator, for the first time, after tweaking my process, I nailed it.
Thanks for your contribution to the brewing community!
@Beer-lord you're welcome and thank you for your feedback, I'd say the actual and predicted mash pH results were dead on! Stay tuned for my next version 2.01 release it's going to include a lot of new features. Including but not limited to support for mixed water sources such as tap/city/well water reports and RO and distilled dilution water. Support for saving, reloading and editing complete recipes for future tweaking and reuse. A setup page for entering your brewhouse settings and much more all in a new Excel spreadsheet format.

Back