Eye Pee Eh update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
So I brewed my 2nd batch on tuesday morning. Bottled my first batch that same day (Irish Car bomb stout).

I went with an IPA type recipe I came up with but ran into some cooling issues (no ice) and it took much longer than it did the first time. I ended up pitting the primary in the freezer to cool it down to a pitching temp and finally was able to pitch after 2 hours.

I had yet to see much if any activity in the air lock after 2 days... So I opened it up and it seemed to have a nice white layer of foam on top of it. I am hoping that this is normal (the first batch I did I never looked into the fermenter until about 7-8 days had passed and the krausen had really decreased.

Should I be concerned? Also my OG was a lot higher than I anticipated (1.078) so I am wonder how long it will take to condition in the bottles vs Kegging it (assuming I get everything I need by the time its done fermenting).

What is the current temp? If you came out with an OG that was a lot higher than expected, you are probably having a lot of lag due to underpitching yeast. It will take the yeast more time to kick it into gear. Should finish ok because the OG is not too terribly high. High ABV beers will take longer to bottle condition because the yeast are fairly tired by the time you give them priming sugar, but they will still get the job done... eventually.

Its sitting steady in the basement with air blwoing on it and in a water bath at about 70-72

get that water temp colder to the low 60's. The fermentation will kick it up a good 6-8 degress from what I've read. Also, I had my apt down to 58 degress and my ferementer temp was at 66-68, so I believe it.
What kind of yeast, and how much, did you pitch?

Safale US-05, 1 packet. I had another packet ready to go but after discussions on here most people seemed to say it wasn't necessary. The various softwares were saying my 1.2-1.5 packets should be used for 5 gallons. I'm sitting at about 4.5 gallons.

What's weird is our basement stays so warm even now when temps at night are 35-40 we are sitting in the 60's in basement... upstairs we don't even have the heat on since we keep the upstairs at about 60-62.

If you didn't rehydrate the yeast before pitching, it is a lag phase before they start up. Should be ok in a day or 2.

Luckly I did rehydrate. Hoping to get home and see some activity. didn't check this morning.

Excited to have done an IPA though. On to the next brew now!

Here are the ingredients. I would have changed my use and timing of the LME.

Recipe:
(My changes are in parenthesis)
5# Lite/Pale LME (6# Gold Midwest)
1# Chocolate Malt (1# BlackPrinz)
1# Crystal 60 (1# Extra Dark Crystal)
8 oz. Flaked oats (no change)
8 oz. Roasted Barley (Lightly Roasted)
1 oz. Fuggles Pellets (60 min)

OG was 1.060.

At bottling added about 20 oz of vanilla infused (3 weeks w vanilla beans in it) irish whisky.

Nottignham yeast.

Would have added a bit more hops.

Back