Experimenting with Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrenbrews

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm brewing my first red ale this weekend and like other newbies I'm anxious to experiment a little. I'm interested in splitting the batch and doing something a bit different with a portion of the brew. I just saw a post from someone who was adding oak chips or cubes to his red ale. I think this sounds interesting but what might this taste like and how would I do it? Would I just add the chips to secondary for a time?

Are there any other suggestions for a good red ale experiment.

-Darren

Hey all,

I'm brewing my first red ale this weekend and like other newbies I'm anxious to experiment a little. I'm interested in splitting the batch and doing something a bit different with a portion of the brew. I just saw a post from someone who was adding oak chips or cubes to his red ale. I think this sounds interesting but what might this taste like and how would I do it? Would I just add the chips to secondary for a time?

Are there any other suggestions for a good red ale experiment.

-Darren

You would add the oak in the secondary. I usually save the experiments for after I have brewed something a couple of times. It will give you a baseline for what the raw finished product should taste like. Also if you want to tweak the recipe a bit, it gives you a good opportunity to do just that.

I usually save the experiments for after I have brewed something a couple of times.

Thanks emmdubb23, that is good advice and I may end up waiting for another brew to do the experiment but no harm in asking ahead of time to find something I really want to do.

-DZ

Latest posts

Back