El Dorado Hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudland

Reaction score
Hello All,

This will be my first attempt at an IPA. I've decided to experiment with El Dorado Hops. I only have 3 oz so I'm using the 1 oz of Mosaic I have for bittering. I will be doing a 2 stage fermentation, dry hopping in the secondary. It will be bottle conditioned.

Any thoughts on the outcome?

Thanks!

Capture.PNG

If you have anything other than mosaic for the bittering hop then I would use it. If you don't, then I'm good with the recipe. I might move the 30 minute addition to the 10 minute spot (or later) though if it were me.

Hi aStoutObserver,

I guess it would have been a good idea to state the "taste" i was going for. I have been on a Sculpin 70 IBU, Grapefruit Sculpin 70 IBU, Anti-Venom 45 IBU kick here of late. I also like Invasion 36 IBU and Morgasm 19 IBU. Seems like the fruity/grapefruity taste suites me right now!

In place of the Mosaic I have Citra & Nugget & Saaz. I saw the Mosaic may give "A complex array of tropical fruit, citrus, berry, herbal, earthy and pine characteristics." I was looking for a mixed character, if any, at the 45 minute bittering stage.

Why do you say to move the 30 min addition to 10? That takes my IBU from a 60 to a 46.

The Cara malt cut back to .25-.50 lbs, is the % of usage too high? I did read that it "would be lightly roasted and be sweeter". Wouldn't the 1lb of sweetness be offset by the 60 IBU rating?

1st pic = My original recipe.

2nd pic = 30 min moved to 10 min and Cara cut back to 1/2 lb.

I thank you for your input. I only have 4 homebrews, that weren't kits, under my belt. The recipes I messed with were 1 Bavarian Dark Lager, 1 Light Amber Ale and 2 Holiday Brews one of which is bottle conditioning as I type.

Thanks!

Profile.png

Profile 1.png

hop inv.png

Home brewing is a lot of fun because as "the chef," we have all of the power to change the recipe to what we like.

Mosaic is a wonderful hop with wonderful flavors. I would personally use some nugget as my bittering hop at 60 to reach my desired IBU. I then suggested the el Dorado at 10 instead of 30 because yes you are getting more bitterness out of the hop but you are conversely getting less flavor.

A lot of people are trending more and more toward using less and less crystal malt in their ipas. Some find it too sweet at a larger percent. You may find that it is the right amount. But yes you do want to balance sweetness and bitterness.

The earlier you add a hop to the boil, the more it adds a generic bitterness to the recipe, and less of its unique flavors. I personally NEVER see a point in adding hops between 55 min and 20 min End-of-Boil.
Either use for IBUs at the beginning, or near the end for flavoring/aroma.
Put your el dorado to better use by using 1 oz at 5 min, 1 oz at flameout, and 1 oz for dry hop. Not really enough for an IPA, but that's the best use if you only have 3 oz

Ahhh, the human palate! Two very understandable views.

I'm messing with the recipe now.

What if I used a different specialty grain? Darker but use less to keep the lighter color?

grain.png

Black patent and chocolate and all darker malts would be out of place for the IPA you are trying for. I like that you're looking and learning though.

I somehow overlooked that you have citra. I think a nice el Dorado and citra IPA would be great. But if you are hoping to really focus on el Dorado then it will be a nice candy like sweetness. I did an IPA with centennial and El Dorado before. I enjoyed it.

If I were brewing your beer here is what I would do.

Your choice of extract and then anything under 10% for your caramel malt (steeped).

Nugget @ 60 mins. for 60-70 IBU
El Dorado @ 10
El Dorado @ flameout
Citra @ flameout
El Dorado @ dry for your choice of days
Citra @ dry for your choice of days

But again, that's me. I look forward to other opinions on helping you.

So here is what I'm planning on for the recipe after the great hints thrown my way. Thanks again!

Oh, and I did have 6 oz of El Dorado but used 3 oz in a fruit beer thats bottle conditioninig right now.

I have another used fridge on the way this week. I'm going to transfer my batch that's bottle conditioning into it and hopefully brew this one in the next 2 weeks.

I'll keep this updated as the brew commences.

IPA V1.5.png

Style Guide IPA V1.5.png

Est Color IPA V1.5.png

So.. do to my not getting Citra when I was at Weak Knee supply, and I was already steeping grains when I realized it, Here is whats fermenting. Not too far off from the last recipe post, profile wise, flavor will be different.

El Mosaic.png

El Mosaic 2.png

El Mosaic 3.png

The El Citranado(1st pic) is 48 hours after pitching. The El Mosaic Toronado(2nd pic) is 24 hours after pitching. I will change the air lock when the krausen subsides a bit.

El Citranado IPA.png

El Mosaic Toronado IPA.png

Back