Dump or Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading about fermenting in glass carboy. Does anyone do this for primary?

example: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01ANDX4WO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
IMG_20180520_181400.jpg
13 gallon keg is a primary

My brew barrels have a bottom spout so "gravity siphon" might be a better way to describe how I pour the beer into the kegs. The only tools I use are this siphon hose, and the barrel when I keg. When I brew I also use a spoon. Then there are the kegs. So you think I should replace some of these items instead of cleaning them?

View attachment 600997 View attachment 600998
You could start to use the Corny to ferment in

I am going to go pick up two SS Brewtech 7 Gal Brewmaster's. From what I read although they are a bit more money they are better built and I can afford the extra $200. Turns out it will be $614 including tax shipped from Toronto to Ottawa or $640 if I get them from my local brew shop which I will more than likely do.

The original brew that was infected is carbonated now and I am trying it as I write this. It is quite good (photo below of it in the glass).

As for the 2nd batch which is still in the plastic bucket, this is how it looks as of today. My barrels do not seal and that is likely half of my problem. This not to mention they are plastic and I have never been a fan of plastic so I am happy to make a step up and see how things improve (if they do)
DSC01526.JPG

DSC01522.JPG

I'd say buy some new plastic carboys and carry on for another 85 brews. 650$ for 2 buckets is a pretty big investment imho considering besides the cleaning aspect theres no real other advantage. Of course if your budget is unlimited go for it but at that point you might as well spend a few 100$ more and upgrade to a unitank as that's a pretty substantial upgrade that has alot of bonuses . Cheers

+1 to Blazin. No need to spend big bucks to fix this problem when you aren't sure 100% that the buckets have now are the problem. Spend $30-40 on new buckets. Treat them well and they will last a long time.

An update.

1st photo is the bucket that was cleaned and replaced on Dec 5 (it being the new version of post 1 and 6). So far it appears a good cleaning has resulted in a new brew without problems. 10 days old tomorrow.

The 2nd photo is the one that was shown in post 23 and brewed on Nov 24. While it seems to have issues, it is nothing like the one that made me start this thread in the 1st place. It will be 21 days old tomorrow.

DSC01545.JPG
DSC01550.JPG

Last edited:
If you’re going for SS, while I don’t doubt the SS brewtech is a nice piece of equipment, I have 2 of the anvils and I find they are great.

Went to keg the 21 day version from the plastic bucket today and it is bad. It tastes like apple cider, down the drain it went. Funny how the one that looked really bad was good (1st post on this thread) whereas the one that looked better is wicked bad.

Photo that follows shows how I hope to make this my last BAD batch ever.

Any advice on SS spoon versus plastic one?

DSC01551.JPG

Last edited:
I tasted it again, and since it tastes quite good, I decided to keg it.

Most of what was floating on top stuck to the sides of the primary as I poured it into the kegs (see photo). I did not keg the last 2 or so inches. Now it's a matter of making sure whatever happened this time does not happen to me again. I clean quite thoroughly with Diversol... although I have been thinking of changing to a no rinse as soon as this container runs out. Any suggestion regarding how to up my game cleaning wise?View attachment 600995
my cleaning regimen- oxy clean , then star san...so far, so good

I have to think the plastic simply got old and hard to clean. Choice was new pails or the rig shown above. Looking back.. they were purchased Oct 2015.

1st batch is in the kegs now.. it came out looking picture perfect. A bit soon to keg, but I will take green over infected or store bought any day. New SS brew barrels are a breeze to clean.

2nd batch will remain in primary for 20-30 days.

Thanks for the advice.

2nd batch in the kegs... picture perfect. If I have any complaint about the SS Fermenter.. it's that it is a bit small. I have kegs from Italy which are 3 Imperial gallons. 23 Litres was a good volume in my old fermenter, a bit tight to do that in these new ones. A world economy with 2 different sized gallons is not the best.

I forgot to mention, if I were you, I would pick up a couple packs of replacement O-rings for the fermenters. I've gone through a few of the O-rings for the racking arm since purchasing mine.

I am not a fan of the racking arm. I removed it for batch 2... will see if I like it better without.

Back