Dry yeast vs. liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tcraft18

Reaction score
Trying to decide what yeast to buy with my extract kit. Does it really make a difference to upgrade to a better yeast? What is the difference between the two yeasts

Well seeing as nobody has replied ill tell you what little I know. From what I've been told there are more strains of liquid yeast. When it comes to dry yeast I've been told the cell count is higher. Dry yeast is apparently better if you don't intend to brew right away, it has a longer shelf life but should be frozen or refrigerated.

Dry yeast is great, as is liquid yeast. The dry yeast will store better, is slightly easier to work with, and is less expensive. The reason liquid yeast is bought a lot of the time is because there is just such a better selection. If you're looking to brew a standard American Pale Ale though, the US-05 yeast will ferment VERY similarly to a WLP001 or Wyeast 1056. They're practically the same strain, and while they are different, will brew very similar beers.

Hope this helps!

I am planning on doing an IPA and also a Sassion. Both are extract kits as I am still very new to brewing

US-05 is a sure thing for the IPA. I suggest saving the Saison until you're a few batches into the hobby. Brewing an authentic one can be quite challenging.

You can find liquid yeasts more specific to a particular style. Even particular to an example of that style,like Burton ale yeast. Or kolsh yeasts with various ideal temp ranges. But they're about $3 more than dry.

I am planning on doing an IPA and also a Sassion. Both are extract kits as I am still very new to brewing

I second the US-05 for the IPA. It works great for them

There is a good easy to use dry yeast for Saisons. Belle Saison works great and is not as temp sensitive as some of the other Saison yeasts.

I didnt see it mentioned, but it should be.

For pretty much 99% of your beers using liquid yeast you really should use a starter, even fresh they only have up to 100 Billion cells which is only enough for beer thats like ~1.035. So unless your specializing in sessions or near beer or making a beer like Hefe that can benefit from stressing the yeast by underpitching you should always be making starters.

Buying multiple vials of liquid yeast is not cost prohibitive, you buy an extra vial 4 times and you more or less just paid the cost getting a Flask and stir bar and a DIY stir plate. And in many Imperials or lagers you'd be pitching 4-5 vials.

FuzzeWuzze said:
For pretty much 99% of your beers using liquid yeast you really should use a starter, even fresh they only have up to 100 Billion cells which is only enough for beer thats like ~1.035.

I asked a while ago why Mr. Malty and the like suggest 200BB cells for a 1.060 beer whereas Wyeast smack packs say they are good to 1.060 with one pack. The general consensus was that those values are for washed yeast, not fresh from a vial or smack pack.

But, in general, I agree. Also, many of my beers are higher than 1.060, not to mention lagers.

Yeah,I also noticed that on Wyeast activators & White Labs vials. Pitching straight up to 1.050 works quite well for me. The WY3056 started visibly fermenting in about 3 hours.

Latest posts

Back