Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stansoid

Reaction score
I have a quick question about dry hopping.

I have a recipe that calls for it. I've read around and come up with great ways to add the hops (ex, in a bag with some marbles), but not a good explanation of how to read the recipe for timing of dry hopping.

The recipe calls for "3.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days"

I get that means 3 oz of Crita hops... but when do I add it? Right away after I pitch the yeast and leave it in the fermenter for 7 days and then remove..? or do I add it after 7 days from pitching, and leave it in until I rack it for bottling?

Any advice is appreciated.

When dry hopping, you typically want to add it a couple days after primary fermentation is complete (gravity readings stable for a few days). Also, more and more people are siding closer to a 4-5 day dry hop schedule instead of 7 days to limit green matter flavors into the beer.

You want to dry hop after your primary fermentation is done. Typically a week after you pitch your yeast. 3 oz of citra huh. Maybe zombie dust clone? Ive got a batch going right now actually. My fermentation was done after a week and I just threw the hops right in the bucket. You can certainly put them in a bag if you want but not needed.

You don't need a bag to dry hop, but if you use one, be sure to sanitize it.

My usual method is to let the beer ferment about 15 days until well after all visible signs of fermentation are done. Then add the dry hops and let them swim free for 5 days, then bottle. Be aware that adding the hops (nucleation sites) can kick a lot of CO2 out of solution and cause the hops to float on top. It can look like fermentation starting over.

Oh, and +1 for GIR

If they are hop pellets, you don't need a bag. Just toss them in after fermentation is complete. Dry hop 7 days means to toss in the hops, wait 7 days, then bottle. Don't remove..just bottle after 7 days. If you are using whole hops, you might want to consider using the muslin bag/marble trick to submerge the hops. You may want to try and fish this out before bottling. I can't say for sure, as I only have experience with pellet hops.

Also, I like your quote :mug:

Wow thanks for the quick replies.

So basically the number of days isn't that relevant as long as primary is settled down? Or Am I targeting to put the hops in so that the number of days in the recipe lines up with target date for racking it out? (ex, say I want it in the primary for 3 weeks, and it calls for 10 days dry hopping.. I would add hops on Day 11 for a target of racking on Day 21.. or if its 7 days and I'm hoping for a 2 week fermentation, add on Day 7 for racking on Day 14?)

Also...
3 oz of citra huh. Maybe zombie dust clone? Ive got a batch going right now actually. My fermentation was done after a week and I just threw the hops right in the bucket. .

You nailed it. I am gearing up for a Zombie Dust clone.

Also, I like your quote :mug:

It would appear we both have good taste Mrgrimm101

Thanks for the replies!

Don't worry about the dates on a calendar..just take your samples and make sure that you have hit your FG and then introduce the dry hops. Some people dry hop for as little as 2 days..most people do it for around 7 days. I've had time get away from me and dry hopped for 10 days and it turned out awesome. They say that if the dry hops are left for too long, they will impart a grassy flavor. I've not had this happen, but like I said, I typically dry hop for 7-10 days.

In general, I would say to not brew based on a calendar. Yes, we might notice patterns of "it's usually done after 2 weeks in primary" or something similar, but fermentation will be complete when it's complete. There are so many variables (temps, yeast strains, etc.) that it's tough to stick to a calendar. If you're going to try and stick by a timeline, just give yourself enough time to know for sure that fermentation is complete and FG has been hit. When I do this, I usually go about 3 weeks then bottling.

I will usually dry hop after I don't see CO2 bubbles in the SG sample. Off gassing CO2 can scrub some of the hop aroma from the beer. Dry hopping is about 15 to 21 days after active fermentation had begun.

I use pellets and just pour them into the carboy.

Wait until I hit FG, then dry hop for prescribed period of time makes a lot of sense to me.

Thanks. I'm a few weeks away from laying keel this one, but I have the time today to do the research :) Thanks for the replies.

to save time, i let my beer finish in primary. usually 2-3 weeks. that ensures any by products (like diacetyl) are gone and the beer has started to clarify. i then secondary in a keg. usually by the time i rack into a keg, it's ready to chill it to serving temps and add a 1-gallon mesh paint strainer, with my dry hops inside, tied to dental floss. when the dry hopping is done, i put it under carb pressure.

here's a thought.. if you are directed to do 3oz hops for 7 days, you can split that into 2 hop schedules, 1.5oz for 4 days, pull them out and clean/sanitize the hop bag, then the other 1.5oz hops for another 4 days.

some apa and ipa beers are known for a slight grassy flavor, like Four Peaks hop knot, which won gold in denver a couple years back.

the unscented dental floss will easily slip under a bucket lid or keg seal, without leaks.

Yes if you use pellet hops it turns into a job filtering them out when racking. I prefer bags with weights as you initially mentioned. Now you will probably have to get some kind of nylon panty hose or something similar to pull over your racking cane.

I fermeneted it at 68F. SnakeRidge your post makes complete sense now that I think about it. It does resemble a riseing krausen.

I will be sure to filter my siphon.

I standby that it looks like pond scum.. Delicious delicious pond scum.

Latest posts

Back