Dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am just about to keg my extract coopers heritage lager kit where I added 100% light DME and a started smack pack of north west ale, I added 25g of Nelson Sauvin that I boiled into 2 cups of water for 10 mins, I have some 12% alfa Nelson Sauvin hops left that I want to use to dry hop into my keg, what Would be the best quantity to use ? I have no idea :(

Ix Coopers Heritage Lager

1x Wyeast North West Ale (started)

25g/ Nelson Sauvin @ 12 alpha in 2 cups of water boiled for 10 mins

1.5kg/3Lbs of Light DME

21 days single fermentation

Keg 7 days @ 12 psi

??g dry hop of Nelson Sauvin @ 12 alpha

Anyone ? I've seen more active replies in the past :( Is it because i'm posting in extract and not in AG ?

Anyone ? I've seen more active replies in the past :( Is it because i'm posting in extract and not in AG ?

It's more likely that nobody knows the answer because the amount of hops for dry hopping depends mostly on your preference. I've been using only an ounce in 5 gallons and I get good aroma but others would claim you need 4 or 5 ounces. The best is to try with a small amount and see how it goes. You'll drink all that beer up anyway. Then if you want, brew the same beer again and increase the amount of hops for dry hopping.

Try dry hoping an ounce in a muslin hop sack for 1 week. That'll give a lil aroma. I noticed you replaced the lager yeast that comes with the Heritage lager with ale yeast. You have no temp control for lagers?
Also,you could've used some of the DME in a partial boil for hop additions,saving the remaining DME & the Cooper's can for flame out. That's the way I've been doing them. See my recipes for details of this method.

unionrdr said:
Try dry hoping an ounce in a muslin hop sack for 1 week. That'll give a lil aroma. I noticed you replaced the lager yeast that comes with the Heritage lager with ale yeast. You have no temp control for lagers?
Also,you could've used some of the DME in a partial boil for hop additions,saving the remaining DME & the Cooper's can for flame out. That's the way I've been doing them. See my recipes for details of this method.

Thanks for the input, I don't find that the dry yeadt packet is ad good as a real Smack Pack or vial o fresh specific yeast...

I also don't have temp control, so I set her at 61 degresse for 21 days :)

61F is a fine ferment temp. Rehydrated dry yeast can work just as well. But for lagers that ferment colder,you need a lot more yeast,regardless of which is used. ales are less troublesome,save for the ferment temp range.

I'm not familiar with that hop variety... have you used it before?
if not I would start with 1 oz for 5-7 days.
Alpha doesn't matter for dry hopping as its more aroma than anything else. doesn't increase IBUs, but can contribute to perception of bitterness.

Back