Dry Hopping, Biotransformation, Brut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When should I dose my Brut?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Squeegee

ababybrewer
Reaction score
3 gallon batcher here. I am planning on brewing a Brut IPA in the next week or so. I bought 4 oz's worth of Amarillo 9.20%, 1 oz will be at 15, 1 oz at whirpool, and 1 oz dry hopped for 4 days. Now, there is this thing called biotransformation that keeps coming up. If I add my hops in during the fermentation, say at 50% attenuation, will I be bring forward more aroma than if I had added them at a lower gravity? I have only dry hopped once, and that time I did not wait for fermentation to commence before dosing. Just looking for some dry hop pointers for Brut's in particular. I am aiming for a 1.051 SG.

I was doing some reading on another thread and it says for NEIPA styles you would drop them in during ferm, anything else wait till the ferm is complete.

I am a bit fuzzy on the biotransformation thing. It sounds a bit too magical, but there seems to be science behind it. My understanding is that biotransformation depends on 1) adding hops during active fermentation and 2) yeast capable of biotransformation. Some hops might contribute more to biotransformation as well. I am not positive what yeast is capable of biotransformation...I fermented my first NEIPA with WLP0013 London Ale and it tastes good...but London Ale III/London Fog (and similar) have a better reputation in NEIPA. What yeast are you using?

Please do NOT confuse a Brut IPA with NEIPA. While they both have IPA in the name (which neither should have, but that's a rant for another day) they are very different beers, with very different processes used to get the desired product.

Bruts are supposed to finish very low FG (as close to 1.000 as possible) typically with amylase added to the mash or fermenter, or both to help aid in finishing. They should be much clearer than any NEIPA, in fact I like them crystal clear.

Let's assume dry hopping a NEIPA during active fermentation does have bio-tranfermation and plays some roll in the haze (which I believe it does). Dry hopping at either of your choices would be too early in my opinion. If you wanted to "chase" the last couple points of fermentation to scrub introduced oxygen fine, but that would probably be at 1.010 or below. Personally, I would dry hop it 3 days before you cold crash it, if you are set up for it, or 3 days before you package it.

Last edited:
Wonderful! I’ve got my glucoamylase enzyme ready to go. Thanks for the input guys. Thinking about the WLP090 San Diego Super? I also have a German Ale/Kolsch WLP029 that might drive it a bit further, I think?

Last edited:
Wonderful! I’ve got my glucoamylase enzyme ready to go. Thanks for the input guys. Thinking about the WLP090 San Diego Super? I also have a German Ale/Kolsch WLP029 that might drive it a bit further, I think?

I have no experience with either yeast, but based on the White Labs website I would use the WLP090 with a proper pitch count.

Back