"dry hoping " with orange peel ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnewbie12

Reaction score
I'm wanting to try this with my first brew. Do I use the peel and put in my secondary or was I supposed to add to the boil. I have been reading a lot about it and everything says u can do it either way. Will there be a difference if I use it in my secondary and if so how much do I use. Should I peel and boil with some water and add that or add just the peel with no pith?

I know I've been asking a lot of questions but im just seeing what the experienced Brewers impute is on this.

The pith (the white bit) just makes the beer bitter. You probably will not notice a little, but you want to minimize the amount of white flesh. Zest the orange (the orange outside), place in a small jar, and cover with a small amount of vodka or other liquor. The liquor willl sanitize the zest and will help extract the oils. Add both the zest and liquor when ready.

For clarification sake, the pith is the center, not the white bit under the peel. That bit is called the albedo. If you want sweetness, I'd suggest using the flavedo (the orange part of the peel).

I've zested just as @calder writes and put in vodka. I've also used peels in vodka.

I'm wanting to try this with my first brew. Do I use the peel and put in my secondary or was I supposed to add to the boil. I have been reading a lot about it and everything says u can do it either way. Will there be a difference if I use it in my secondary and if so how much do I use. Should I peel and boil with some water and add that or add just the peel with no pith?

I did it in all ways - boiled and fresh, into secondary and into primary (but after vig fermentation down), kept there for 3-5 days.
All the guns shot fine. I did not feel much differences in flavor with all the methods.

Personally I preffer boil 1-2 minutes to pasterize and avoid infection.

How much: it depends fully on you :) To me, 4-5 big oranges for 5 galons give reasonable amount of flavor and smell.

Being peeling I avoid that white stuff (guys already told you) so basically I peel off the only very top like here in video [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTfzpkXJBKs[/ame]
I'd rather get 1 extra orange if feel there is not enough zest for me :)

Just my 2 cents :mug:

I've put orange peel (bought packages as part of kits or at my local store). One batch, NB's La Petite Orange, had me add the peel at flameout. The other kit, NB's winter spiced ale, I added it myself in secondary with some coriander. Actually, both kits had coriander in them now that I think about it. But, in any event, both beers turned out really good. I THINK I did the sweet orange peel both times. They sell pre-packaged bitter and sweet orange peel if I'm not mistaken.

My experience with orange in beers has been:

1) Added ounce of dried peel from LHBS at 60 and 30 min in the boil. Didn't really get a good orange flavor in the beer.

2) Added ounce of dry peel at 15 min and flame out, a little better flavor in the beer.

3) Added ounce of dried peel at 15 min and then the fresh zest of one large navel orange as dry hop for 10 days. Perfect!!

Excellent pairing with Centennial hops or any citrusy hop variety.

Fellow brewer used Amarillo/Simcoe with orange and that is what I currently am planning for my summer beer.

For clarification sake, the pith is the center, not the white bit under the peel. That bit is called the albedo. If you want sweetness, I'd suggest using the flavedo (the orange part of the peel).

Interesting clarification.

Back