Dry Hop Too Long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was suppose to bottle at the end of this week, but now I have a last minute trip I'll have to take. The scheduled 7 day dry hop would be extended to 14. Is there a "no no" for this or does it not matter?

Thanks

I don't think "too long" is a problem. You just may get a slightly different flavor by extending the dry hop length. Brulosophy did an experiment on this actually. http://brulosophy.com/2015/10/26/dry-hop-length-long-vs-short-exbeeriment-results/

"Aromatically, I perceived the short dry hop beer as possessing more dank, resinous character that was layered with citrus and tropical fruit notes, while the long dry hop beer came across as having little dank character at all. In terms of flavor, the long dry hop beer was certainly hop-forward, which to me was reminiscent of a clean juice blend, with a pleasant maltiness in the finish." (Brulosophy)

You may notice a bit more vegetal taste with extended dry hop times. That’s dependent on beer style and the type and amount of hops used.

Thank you for the responses. I'm doing a 14gal batch of a session IPA and used 2 oz of amarillo and 2oz of Citra.

So maybe I need to speed up this process before I leave

Back