Dry hop hop selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
So, I brewed up a 10 gal AG batch of Two hearted... I am going to dry hop one of the 5 gal fermentors with the centennial hops, but I would like to try something different with the second 5 gal batch.

On hand, I have simcoe, falconers flight, cascade, citra, amarillo and a few others which are mainly for bitter additions.

I am curious about falconers flight, or a simcoe/amarillo combo.

Any input?

I've never dry hopped with it, but Falconers could be interesting considering it's made up of the 7C hops. Seems like the most interesting choice to me, especially since I know what Cascade, citra and amarillo already do. That would be my first choice, unless someone else chimes in not to do it.

Hey dude,

I've used most of the hops you have on hand as a dry hop and personally, I would lean on the choices you've already decided on. Simcoe/Amarillo will give you a piney/grapefruit citrus aroma/flavor (or even Simcoe/Citra - piney/mango) is an awesome combo. Pliny uses a dry of all three if that's something you're trying to go for. Dry hopping with just Falconer's will also leave you with a floral/citrusy/tropical vibe as it's a blend of Sorachi Ace, Citra, Simcoe, and other various hops. Either way, it sounds like it's going to be delish. Let us know how it turns out.

I'd go with either a combination of Cascade/Simcoe or a double dry hop with those two. Cascade will give the citrus and Simcoe will give the pine - both should complement the flavor of the Two Hearted Ale, and both are from the awesome state of Washington ;-)

BTW, this is a good read on dry hopping, Pg. 42: http://www.stonebrew.com/news/081201/

Simcoe and citra!!! Incredible aroma with the combination of these 2. I usually do an ounce of each and it turns out perfect. Falconer's flight is also a good selection.

Our club did a 7 way split dry hop experiment not too long ago using Cascade, Centennial, Simco, Amarillo, Columbus, Falconer's Flight, and Zythos. We started with a base IPA recipe then dry hopped each split with each of the mentioned varieties.

While I'm pretty biased in favor of Centennial (love that Two Hearted), the big surprise was Falconers. The actual make-up of the blend is proprietary, but the results were really good. Definitely worth a batch to see how you like it.

Back