Driving from New Mexico to VA on rt 40, what regional beers to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcquesten

Reaction score
I will be driving through some of Texas, Ok, Arkansas, Tenn to VA. I'm trying to figure out some beers to buy along the way that aren't available to me in Virginia. Any suggestions on regional beers that I NEED to get on this trip would be appreciated. I'm looking more for packaged beer and not really growlers, but if there is a really good brewpub I might be open to that, I'll just be short on time. Thanks.

How far into VA are you going? If in VA Beach try hitting the Young Veterans Brewing Co. Good flight! Growlers avail.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Tennessee:
Yazoo: Sue (Smoked porter)
Blackstone: Adam Bomb (IIPA)

Both are pretty widely available. Realize that Tennessee beer laws are stupid -- high gravity beers (over 5% ABW) can only be sold in liquor stores and liquor stores can't sell "regular" gravity beers.

I also love Blackberry Farms Saison but it's hard to find. If you see it, I would snatch it up.

Highland Brewing Company, Asheville, NC. Try Big Butte Smoked Porter, Black Mocha Stout, or Highland Gaelic....

Tennessee:
Yazoo: Sue (Smoked porter)
Blackstone: Adam Bomb (IIPA)

Both are pretty widely available. Realize that Tennessee beer laws are stupid -- high gravity beers (over 5% ABW) can only be sold in liquor stores and liquor stores can't sell "regular" gravity beers.

I also love Blackberry Farms Saison but it's hard to find. If you see it, I would snatch it up.

Thank you. That's the type of suggestion I'm looking for. Would they be available in most of the state? Can anyone chime in on any Texas beers?

Another suggestion for Tennessee: Ananda IPA from wiseacre brewing in memphis. It is a really solid ipa with great hop aroma and flavor (they publish all of the particulars on their website). 6.0% abv so it is sold in all 'normal' stores (i.e. kroger) but not liquor stores per the aforementioned stupid beer laws.

You'll barely miss Asheville, NC, if you go up 81 off 40. If you want good beer, come on by. The Wedge, Greenman, Wicked Weed, Burial, Asheville Brewing Company all make fantastic brews. May not want to drive after, however.

Thank you. That's the type of suggestion I'm looking for. Would they be available in most of the state? Can anyone chime in on any Texas beers?

Don jalapeño by no label brewing is a great texas beer. Jester king beers are also great local beers and I see people regularly seeking them out in the trade forums.

Ditto on the Wicked Weed rec. If you like funky/sour beers, Jester King (just outside Austin, TX) is an amazing brewery. Seriously, if you can find any bottles of Jester King, grab them, you can't get them in VA. Looking at a map, I'm realizing that both Austin and Asheville are not on your route..... and I honestly think those are the best beer towns anywhere close to your drive. Also, keep in mind that if you're going to live close to DC, you'll be able to find a huge selection of beers. The liquor laws in DC are weird enough so that we can get stuff that is really hard to find, plus you'll have tons of great local breweries in DC/VA/MD (Stillwater, Brewer's Art, DC Brau, 3 Stars, Lost Rhino, etc..)

If you have time to stop in Memphis, High Cotton brewing just opened their tap room. Their ESB is excellent along with their IPA. One of the owners also runs a home brew store in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thank you. That's the type of suggestion I'm looking for. Would they be available in most of the state?

Yazoo and Blackstone are widely available in middle and east Tennessee. I-40 goes right through Knoxville, which also has a lot of the Asheville NC products and Asheville has a lot of good breweries.

Ditto on the Wicked Weed rec. If you like funky/sour beers, Jester King (just outside Austin, TX) is an amazing brewery. Seriously, if you can find any bottles of Jester King, grab them, you can't get them in VA. Looking at a map, I'm realizing that both Austin and Asheville are not on your route..... and I honestly think those are the best beer towns anywhere close to your drive. Also, keep in mind that if you're going to live close to DC, you'll be able to find a huge selection of beers. The liquor laws in DC are weird enough so that we can get stuff that is really hard to find, plus you'll have tons of great local breweries in DC/VA/MD (Stillwater, Brewer's Art, DC Brau, 3 Stars, Lost Rhino, etc..)

Just looked at Jester King and it looks like it's available as far north as Dallas, which wasn't originally on our route, but I'm seriously considering changing it so we do go through there. All of their beers look good, but are there any that really stand out? With that kind of selection, I might have trouble deciding. As far as where I'll be in VA, it's looking like it will be around the Winchester area, which is close enough to DC. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jester King:
Petite Prince is good/solid/interesting.
Noble King- both hoppy and sour, nice combo!
Commercial Suicide- good but not their best.
Mad Meg- really nice.
Boxer's Revenge- Really interesting characteristics from the long aging process.
I haven't tried any of the "metal" beers yet, but I've heard several raves, especially about Black Metal.

Winchester, VA.... You're actually out in VA wine country. The closest breweries to you are probably Flying Dog and Lost Rhino. The lost Rhino tasting room is really fun. Blue Mountain Brewery and Devil's Backbone near Charlottesville are worth of visit too, while I wouldn't waste my time with the others near there.

Back