Drake's Denogginizer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DamnRedhead

Reaction score
Hi All,
I went to California this past week and had Drake's Denogginizer, and loved it. I'm thinking of brewing it, and wanted to see what you all think of this recipe (mini-mash).

3# 2-row malt
1# English Crystal
4 oz Caramalt
7# Light Pale LME

@ 60 Minutes - 1oz Bravo & 1oz Cascade
@ 15 Minutes - 1oz Cascade
@ 5 Minutes - 1 oz Chinook
Dry Hop (after 2 weeks) - 1oz Cascade, 1oz Chinook, 1oz HBC 342

Planning on using WL001 for about a 2 quart starter

What do you all think about this? Recommendations? Should I do a 90-120 minute boil for this type of beer?

http://drinkdrakes.com/beer/drakes-denogginizer-dipa/

According to Drake's site the beer starts at 19.8 plato or around 1.083 and is 9.75% abv, so you're going to need to get it to attenuate really well. To do that I would swap out some of the DME for sugar. Also that's a lot of crystal at 1.25 lbs. They only list C-55 so I would omit the carastan, select a crystal in the 55L range and go with not more than 0.5-.75 lb. The original is a bit amber so you may need that much for color, I'd be sure to do your mini-mash low like 150*. You should add the hopstand addition also, maybe a couple oz each of cascade and chinook.

Thanks! After reading some more about it, there are other posts that mention there are notes of honey... should I maybe swap out honey for LME? Regardless, how much would you recommend to swap out?

In my limited experience the flavor from honey used as a fermentable is very subtle, I think it would be hard to pick out in a hop bomb like this. They don't list it as an ingredient, I'd probably just use sugar. I didn't see that you're using LME not DME, I think you need more fermentables to hit your target OG. I would add a lb of sugar to what you have there, that should get you in the 1.082 range and about 10% sugar.

A couple of years ago while visiting Drake's tap room, I also really really enjoyed this beer. The bar keep put me in touch with one of the brewers and after a few back and forth email exchanges, I came up this recipe. It came pretty close and my local club did a side by side comparison and found it close. If I were to do it again, I'd push the late hops into a long whirlpool hop stand and push the bravo to 20 minutes instead of 45...

91% 2 row
3% crystal 60
3% munich malt
3% sugar

1 oz magnum 60 minutes
1 oz bravo 45 minutes
1 oz centennial 15 minutes
1 oz HBC 342 1 minute

2 oz amarillo dry hop
2 oz simcoe dry hop

This was the brewers advice:
For the grain bill we use 90% 2-row with 3% C60, 3% Munich and 3% Dextrose.
We shoot for 85 IBU's generally using German Magnum, Bravo, or Warrior in the kettle.
Centennial and Summit in the late additions, and HBC 342, CTZ and Summit in the dry hop.

Hope this works out for you, cheers!

This is amazing... thank you so much! I am going to try this, and will certainly let you know how this turns out!

Back