Dragons Silk clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Sarber

Unindicted Co-conspirator
Reaction score
I bought several Dragons Silk clone recipe kits from NB, this is an extract/partial mash kit. Was just drinking the first brew, and was thinking it's not bad, but I think it might be better with just a touch of cinnamon.
Has anybody ever tried adding cinnamon, and did you use powdered cinnamon in primary, or secondary, or tincture, or what?
Or stick cinnamon? Boil, primary, secondary?
And how much would be appropriate in a 5 gallon batch?

I've added cinnamon powder to the end of the boil and sticks in secondary. Adding powder at boil is the easier route but i feel like adding whole cinnamon after primary fermentation has ended gives it more cinnamon flavor. I made a tincture with a cinnamon stick and enough bourbon to cover it, then dumped the all of it in my beer.

If you don't want to make a tincture and are concerned about sanitation, you can boil the cinnamon stick in a little water for a few minutes and then put the stick in secondary.

As far as how much time to leave stuff in secondary... i wouldn't go for more than 5 days (again, depending on how potent your cinnamon is).

A lot of the amounts depend on how new and potent your cinnamon is. I'd try 1 tsp of cinnamon powder in the boil or 1 cinnamon stick as a starting point.

Ok, thanks for the tips. I want a cinnamon taste, but not overpowering, and I think that would be easy to do with cinnamon.

Back