Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't move your pyrex jug filled with boiled dme straight from the gas stove to the sink filled with cold water.

Really? I've done this hundreds and hundreds of times. It's my standard procedure to take it right from the stove to a sink filled with cold water.

I am using real heavy duty Pyrex brand Erlenmeyer's though. Not the cheap shat all the HBS sell. Got mine from a lab supply store.

Really? I've done this hundreds and hundreds of times. It's my standard procedure to take it right from the stove to a sink filled with cold water.

I am using real heavy duty Pyrex brand Erlenmeyer's though. Not the cheap shat all the HBS sell. Got mine from a lab supply store.

If they have a small flaw the temp change will cause em to fail.

If they have a small flaw the temp change will cause em to fail.

Ah that makes me feel better then. The other day i foolishly set 2 of my flasks on the concrete floor temporarily, and ended up kicking them with an ear shattering clank. I didn't see any damage and i used them to make starters today without incident. Guess they're good to go still.

RIP pyrex? Just cracked im hoping.

I was in a bit of a rush juggling three different jobs... usually I let it sit for a few minutes when it comes off the flame before easing it into hot water, but this time I went straight into cold water from flame out... It sizzled for about a second and then went pop while I was still holding the handle. This is a thick kitchen jug, mostly broke into large chunks but there were a few inch long needle shards.

Yay for post christmas sales... I now see they don't recommend these jugs go on the stovetop.

Don't transfer oversaturated spent grain to a 9x13 pan for drying in the oven. Lining the pan with parchment paper wont keep the excess liquid from condensing down and sticking to the pan. Always try to squeeze some of that wort out first.

About the pyrex busting. Thats because corning sold the pyrex brand to world kitchen and they are no longer made from borosilicate glass which made them as strong as they were once renowned to be. Now they're made from ordinary soda lime. Or so i've read.

Get yourself a good flask for using on the stove but just make sure it says borosilicate glass.

Don't be a lazy ass and leave your immersion chiller outside, full of water, in Canadian winter.

Drunk eBay ... Don't do that . But on the bright side I think I got a decent deal on a pair of antique beer engines ...

Once I 1) got drunk during a brew day and 2) "drunk Amazon" afterward. I am the proud owner of a 15 gallon Bayou kettle - without any research, that is sitting in my garage and rarely used!

Blindly follow BeerSmith's reccomendation to add 12.8ml of lactic acid to my 8.5gal RO built mash... beer isn't done yet but im pretty sure that was a huge mistake, smells great in the fermentor so far.

Blindly follow BeerSmith's reccomendation to add 12.8ml of lactic acid to my 8.5gal RO built mash... beer isn't done yet but im pretty sure that was a huge mistake, smells great in the fermentor so far.

Not outside the realm of possibility, since you didn't give any indications what your beer was. 8.5gal + 15lb pilsner malt, with RO water, puts that at about 5.10pH. 7lb wheat/pilsen split puts it right at 5.22. If you were using hard water instead of RO, it raises those values even higher.
I've been using the EZ-water spreadsheet.

Not outside the realm of possibility, since you didn't give any indications what your beer was. 8.5gal + 15lb pilsner malt, with RO water, puts that at about 5.10pH. 7lb wheat/pilsen split puts it right at 5.22. If you were using hard water instead of RO, it raises those values even higher.
I've been using the EZ-water spreadsheet.

It was 8.5gal RO with 13.5lbs 2-row and ~60calcium ~18 magnesium ~164 sulfate ~58 chloride.

Beersmith had said that mashing in would put me at 5.72 and ~12ml lactic would be required for 5.2, but i didn't enter any of my mineral additions so im unsure of how that would have shifted things(still new to water adjustment). I guess we'll see how it plays out. In the mean time ill have to check out ez water.

Don't read the directions on your new big mouth bubble (b/c really how hard could it be ive been brewing a while now?). Add hot wort and melt said bubbler......

FYI for those who don't know anything above 140 melts those damn things. Thats $40 bucks down the drain.

Don't dump DME in an erlenmeyer with boiling water. After cleaning up, while humming Culture Club's 'Do you really want to hurt me', don't dump nutri-blend into said erlenmeyer with boiling wort. It really wants to hurt you.

Don't dump DME in an erlenmeyer with boiling water. After cleaning up, while humming Culture Club's 'Do you really want to hurt me', don't dump nutri-blend into said erlenmeyer with boiling wort. It really wants to hurt you.

LOL! Some people just dont' learn from their own mistakes, I guess. :p

When you first get into kegging and accidently put the liquid disconnect/line on the gas post causing it to get stuck don't remove the line from the disconnect in order to "get a better grip". Especially if the keg is already pressurized.

Don't over fill a keg and not expect it to spew a stream of beer in your face when you purge it...

I transferred carbonated beer from one keg to another once (long story as to why) and didnt think about the fact that when the beer ran out that the co2 would be blowing bubbles in carbonated beer with the prv open... Beer. Everywhere. Wife. Not happy

Needless to say. I feel ya

i transferred carbonated beer from one keg to another once (long story as to why) and didnt think about the fact that when the beer ran out that the co2 would be blowing bubbles in carbonated beer with the prv open... Beer. Everywhere. Wife. Not happy

needless to say. I feel ya

btdt! :)

DON'T leave a hose off one of your shut off valves on you co2 spilter..I must have nudged it moving kegs and didn't hear or notice any hissing...I just drained a almost completely full 20lb CO2 Bottle over night.....Arrgg!

DON'T leave a hose off one of your shut off valves on you co2 spilter..I must have nudged it moving kegs and didn't hear or notice any hissing...I just drained a almost completely full 20lb CO2 Bottle over night.....Arrgg!

I feel your pain...:(

Just be glad you didn't need to spend 2 hrs tracking down the leak!!!

I transferred carbonated beer from one keg to another once (long story as to why) and didnt think about the fact that when the beer ran out that the co2 would be blowing bubbles in carbonated beer with the prv open... Beer. Everywhere. Wife. Not happy

Needless to say. I feel ya

Not happy indeed. Luckily my face blocked the beer from reaching the ceiling or I'd be in the same hot water :mug:

Not happy indeed. Luckily my face blocked the beer from reaching the ceiling or I'd be in the same hot water :mug:

Luckily for me my kegerator blocked the stream of beer from hitting my brand new router and modem (which got moved afterwards to a less risky location). The bigger issue was that it sprayed the front of our very nice (see, expensive) bar cabinet/hutch thingy with a bunch of individual glass panes. It took about 30 mins to clean the beer from the floor and walls, but about 2 hours to clean all that glass :rockin:

Turn the pressure up all the way to get that last little bit of CO2 out. Go buy CO2 refill and connect it up - psssssst - dang a CO2 leak somewhere. Take apart, replace washer, mess around with this and that, reconnect - pssst - dang I still have a CO2 leak. Do a big old tear down to figure out where the leak is.....

Forgot that the pressure was turned up to 100 or whatever so when I connected it to the lines the relief valve was blowing. Took me an hour or two to puzzle that out. Duh.

Don't connect your liquid out line onto your freshly primed keg without making sure it is connected to a closed tap first! Luckily not much sprayed out, ..Frustrating to say the least! I am a klutz...

Same goes for setting up your beer gun.
Don't connect the beer line to the keg before connecting it to the gun.

Brew outdoors on a bitterly cold day, misplace your usual insulation wrap for the kettle, and try to impromptu insulation with bed sheets and a fuzzy wool blanket.

Walked away for 1 minute and came back to the entire 16 gal brew kettle up in flames. Don't do that.

Tip: always have a water hose or large bucket of water on hand... life saver. And dispose of the evidence quickly. The SWMBO never found out...

Brew outdoors on a bitterly cold day, misplace your usual insulation wrap for the kettle, and try to impromptu insulation with bed sheets and a fuzzy wool blanket.

Walked away for 1 minute and came back to the entire 16 gal brew kettle up in flames. Don't do that.

Tip: always have a water hose or large bucket of water on hand... life saver. And dispose of the evidence quickly. The SWMBO never found out...

But it sounds like it at least kept your mash warm :D

Back