Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keg/bottle your beer from your melted big mouth bubbler without tasting it first, only to find out it like styrofoam. Don't do that.

How do people really know what Styrofoam tastes like? You hear it all the time .. tofu, rice cakes, puffed quinoa (is there such a thing?). Who has really eaten Styrofoam to know?

How do people really know what Styrofoam tastes like? You hear it all the time .. tofu, rice cakes, puffed quinoa (is there such a thing?). Who has really eaten Styrofoam to know?

Taste some egg drop soup put in a styrofoam container, from a now out of business Chinese restaurant, and you will know.

Speaking of Styrofoam, SWMBO got something delivered and it came in a cooler. I looked at the cooler and it has 2" think walls and the storage compartment seems to be EXACTLY six-pack sized. So I decided to experiment:

I often go to the grocery store to get lunch from the salad bar and, while I'm there, I get stuff for dinner. Putting some wrapped fish or pork chops in the work fridge is totally cool. Beer? Eh, might raise eyebrows (or might wander off, right?)

So the other day I grabbed something for dinner and a sixer of Stone Ghost Hammer. Put the sixer in the cooler (perfect fit) and threw it in the trunk where it stayed until after 6:00.

Still perfectly cold when I got home.

DO do that.

I did a double-blind triangle test with two samples of styrofoam and one sample of rice cakes. Only 25% of participants could identify the unique sample.

[Disclaimer: the above is not true.]

Assume you remember how much Acidulated malt to add in your recipe so you don't bother checking when mixing grains. End up with ph of 5.18 and wonder what the heck happened...until it occurs to you to CHECK YOUR RECIPE!

I always blow out my IC using an adapter with my air compressor after brew day...

After a long brew day yesterday I went to blow out my IC and wasn't really paying attention that the inlet and outlet were pointing directly at ME! I caught my mistake about the same time I was hit with a short blast of water coming from my Jaded Hydra! No real harm but my shorts were soaked.

Have to admit it felt pretty good after a long, sweaty, hot day so maybe...DO THAT!

This brings up a good question that I have wondered.....do most folks try to blow or purge the cooling water from their IC lines...or just leave it there after use? I have a JaDed Hydra and it is hard to get the water out of the lines so I just leave it be. My cooling water is darn near like RO water so I don't have lots of mineral content that would tend to build up over time.

This brings up a good question that I have wondered.....do most folks try to blow or purge the cooling water from their IC lines...or just leave it there after use? I have a JaDed Hydra and it is hard to get the water out of the lines so I just leave it be. My cooling water is darn near like RO water so I don't have lots of mineral content that would tend to build up over time.

I used to turn it upside down and around and around to get the water out, or if I was adventurous I would boil it which would help expel some water but I had the compressor and adapter already and thought "why not".

I was just concerned the water would eventually cause problems but if you think about it, we all have copper water lines running through our house so...!

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread title

Edgar_skin_zpsdp58f8gn.png

I used to turn it upside down and around and around to get the water out, or if I was adventurous I would boil it which would help expel some water but I had the compressor and adapter already and thought "why not".

I was just concerned the water would eventually cause problems but if you think about it, we all have copper water lines running through our house so...!

Good point about copper lines in our homes where water is in those lines 24/7.

Plus my water is quite mineral free...sounds like it should be ok to leave water in lines since nothing from inside those lines ever contacts the actual beer anyway.

Not double-check the MFL connection tightness at the disconnect when moving a serving line from a 10PSI keg (standard carb), to a 20PSI keg (saison). A month later, I noticed about a gallon of beer on the floor of my keezer, and a sticky mess of dried foam at the MFL connection.

Took an hour to figure out the best way to drain it through the floor drain of the keezer, without making any mess on my nice floor: 3/8"ID silicone tube stuck into the outside hole of the drain, siphoning into an gallon bucket. Then spot-mopped out most of the rest of the liquid. Will have to do a full clean when I take all my kegs out some time later this summer for a beerfest.

may make a policy of always using a wrench to verify tightness whenever swapping anything. I guess that's one tradeoff for the modularity of MFL connections.

But if you live someplace cold and do not store your brewing gear in the house you probably should blow it out.

Fill two identical fermenters with the same amount of worth, pitch yeast, put fermenters in closet, clean up garage and find one of the two jars of rehydrated yeast that you apparently forgot pitch in one of the fermenters. Don't do that. At least Nottingham is a fast starter and it was obvious which one had yeast about 4 hours later.

may make a policy of always using a wrench to verify tightness whenever swapping anything.

I just learned this lesson the hard way.

Bought a brand new keg, sanitised everything and filled it with beer. Assumed the gas post would be tight.

Don't do that. That's 5kg of CO2 stripping the ozone layer in my kegerator :(

I just learned this lesson the hard way.

Bought a brand new keg, sanitised everything and filled it with beer. Assumed the gas post would be tight.

Don't do that. That's 5kg of CO2 stripping the ozone layer in my kegerator :(

That's the only downside I've found to using swivel nuts and MFL connections...

I assembled a new liquid line in my keezer using a QD with a MFL connections. Put it together by hand, forgot to tighten it.

I didn't just lose some CO2.....fortunately I caught it almost immediately.

But if you live someplace cold and do not store your brewing gear in the house you probably should blow it out.
Guilty.

I left my old chiller outside with water in it this past winter. I wound up with a few pounds of scrap copper tubing.

I upgraded to the Hydra after that, so I came out on top. :D

Good point about copper lines in our homes where water is in those lines 24/7.

Plus my water is quite mineral free...sounds like it should be ok to leave water in lines since nothing from inside those lines ever contacts the actual beer anyway.

Besides the issue of freezing, I am not fond of steamy water spitting out at me when I dunk the cooler in the hot boiling wort. So far, doing the upside-down twirl round and round thing works pretty well, seeing as I am too lazy to trot 100ft to the barn where the compressor is.

Besides the issue of freezing, I am not fond of steamy water spitting out at me when I dunk the cooler in the hot boiling wort. So far, doing the upside-down twirl round and round thing works pretty well, seeing as I am too lazy to trot 100ft to the barn where the compressor is.

I always hook up my hoses before dunking the chiller in the boiling wort. No spitting boiling water for me.

Took time out from a busy brew day at work to swap kegerators with the boss...with my fellow assistant brewer anxious to get back to the brewery, I set up the kegerator quickly and then left. Spent the rest of the day worrying about depleted co2, house fires, leaking kegs, to the point that I left early (thus doing myself out of some tips while bartending) and came home to find everything fine. Yeah, don't do that.

Guilty.

I left my old chiller outside with water in it this past winter. I wound up with a few pounds of scrap copper tubing.

I upgraded to the Hydra after that, so I came out on top. :D

Do NOT forget to blow out the Hydra are you'll have a few pounds of EXPENSIVE scrap copper tubing!

Don't leave your keg taps unistalled and use them as a picnic tap waiting for freezer to convert to keezer. Dont put said tap on keg and have it sitting just so. 5 gallons of homebrew (i had enjoyed 3 pints) and 20 lbs co2 gone.....

Begin my brew day and thought I should clean my ball valve but changed my mind...you can always do that later. After brew day thought I'd break down my kettle and...yuck! I should have listened to the little dude in my ear telling me to clean that sucker!!

So...ignore the little dude in your ear? DON'T DO THAT!

I have cleaned it recently but didn't think it would get that dirty that quick. It's a high IBU and ABV IPA so I'm sure (hope!) it will be OK.

Begin my brew day and thought I should clean my ball valve but changed my mind...you can always do that later. After brew day thought I'd break down my kettle and...yuck! I should have listened to the little dude in my ear telling me to clean that sucker!!

So...ignore the little dude in your ear? DON'T DO THAT!

I have cleaned it recently but didn't think it would get that dirty that quick. It's a high IBU and ABV IPA so I'm sure (hope!) it will be OK.

Eh. It got hot enough.

Here's a good one. Kegged up my Pliny clone last Friday and started carbing Saturday. Yesterday after pulling the PRV I got beer coming up through it and couldn't hear co2 going into it. So, clogged dip tube, right? Pulled the keg out, starsanned my tools, keg, and hands to a fare-thee-well, and pulled out both the gas in and the beer out posts and made sure they were clean. Did I check the O-rings? Nope. Should I have? Damn skippy. Came home from work today to find an almost empty tank that I just exchanged last week. Fortunately there's a welding shop about 3 minutes from work so I can get it exchanged tomorrow, but there's another $20 in the wind. Don't Do That.

Hook up your immersion chiller to the hot water line and then not notice it at first because you're so happy about how your homemade pre-chiller is working. 5 Minutes later the pre-chiller has no ice left and the temperature starts to rise... Don't do that!

Throw your back out cleaning up after kegging your brew. I was outside watering the garden with the yeasty hoppy yummy smelling sludge, and Whammo! Only second time in my life I almost passed out from pain. :(

To top it off, this was to make room for bottling the nice wine this afternoon. Guess it gets to wait a few days....

Don't do that!

Take the keg of the keg washer, change the post connection to wash a serving line, and forget to plug the main pipe. Hit the switch, works great for parting hair, washing the ceiling, trashing the floor, and driving up blood pressure.

I think three times now... You would think I would learn....

I ferment in buckets. Drives me nuts (still a newbie) that I can't see inside. So I like to put my DeWalt work light on the lid facing down to illuminate the inside enough to see what's happening with the krausen every so often. Well, I forgot to turn the light off and take it off the bucket before closing the fermentation chamber door (in a hurry before work). Left it that way for two days and successfully skunked a five gallon batch. I pulled a sample on day 12 and it tastes just like the last couple bottles of High Life I have that sat in my car for 8 hours in the summer sun. FML.

DON'T DO THAT!

omg are you ok? :(:(

Thanks for asking! It's an old problem, helped by ice packs, ibuprofen and alternating rest and movement (none of which involves lifting things!) And muscle relaxers in the form of homebrew!

The wine will not get done for a few days... But it will be fine!

I post way too much to this thread....got home today all excited about the Wit that was ready to be tapped, didn't think I had nothing to eat in the house. I know, I'll make a quiche! Got all the ingredients...while waiting for the butter to thaw a bit, had a couple of my Wits (which may decrease my wits, if you know what I mean). All set up and in the oven. Hmm, can't smell it. Ah well fans are on. 20 minutes later...still can't smell anything from the oven. Better check. Must have bumped the oven dial because it was at 220 instead of the 375 called for. Damn I'm hungry now. Don't Drink and Cook.

Back