done ALREADY??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfredop

Reaction score
hi all! i brewed an oatmeal stout as my first partial mash / BIAB. all went great! my mash was a tad high @ 156 or so for 40 mibs followed by a "tea bag" sparge in 170*. after tasting this brew and adding together, i added LME and brewed away. i waaay overshot my OG. it came in at 1.076. after literally 5 days my gravity is 1.016! ok, heres my recipe... 2# 2 row, 12 oz quick oats, the specialties that came w the kit (about 1.5#) and 6# gold LME. i pitched a dry packet (rehydrated) of safale S04 @ 68*. ...then i got nervous of the OG and 2 days later i pitched a pack of nottingham @ frem temp of 65*. now it seems to be done! im still going to leave it for at least another week, prob more; for the yeast to clean up. could this be done already??!!! thanks in advance for thoughts!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Home Brew mobile app

A lot of brewers here stress a long primary fermentation.

I have brewed sessions to 1.100 beers and I have never had primary last more than 8 days. I just brewed a red honey ale at 1.055 and it hit 1.009 in 4 days.

My double jack clone yeast ate through 35 worth of gravity points in 36 hours.

The key for me is smart overpitching (5-10% to account for yeast viability estimations) and proper starters and mashing a fermentable wort (lower temps, a bit more grain).

Safale yeasts are very aggressive in my experience, which is why I like to use them. They ferment fast, they flocculate well, and they leave a fairly clean flavor (if you control the temps).

Once my beer hits final gravity, I give it another 24 hours, then I start the cold crashing.

thanks for the reply. i was nervous about the tolerance of the safale, hence the nottingham pitch. RDWHAHB was out the window. ;) the nain reason for the worry was my last two batches i used WLP 001 with 1L starters and they blew kraussen for 3 days out the too late equipped blow off tubes...ha! thanks for the comfort and ill leave it for 2 more days and check gravity again. guess ill be sippin' these sooner than planned...which is a GOOD thing. :cheers!:

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Home Brew mobile app

The active part of the fermentation can be quite quick. But the gravity might continue to drop slowly for a while. Usually done by 10 days. I always go at least 2 weeks then check. I find 3 give me very clear beer.

I would say that the initial pitch of yeast was fine and the second pitch of Nottingham just wasted a pack of yeast.

Latest posts

Back