Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no experience with blue brand myself, just what i read.

Orijen and taste of the wild are both brands I am familiar with and think are better than average dogfoods.

Purina is too much marketing, style over substance for me, they use way to much filler.

The obedience trainer also has us re-thinking flea and tick meds. He has been in the business for 30 years and swears cancer in dogs was far less common back then than it is now. It does make you wonder; what are those chemicals doing to the dog? If they get fleas, you can give them a flea bath. Our previous dog had tick fever twice even though we utilized the meds with her. Cancer is what ended up getting her at 10 years old.

Could be the area around my house, but I don't use flea or tick meds with my dog or cat, and they don't have a problem. My previous dog was nearly 15 when she died, and she never had fleas. I notice Maybe two or three ticks in a bad year.
I buy my animals high quality food and don't want to subject them to poison every month. If they get fleas, then I'll treat them.

As for the flea meds...When we lived in the South we had not choice but to be on them 9 months a year. Cancer has taken one of 11 dogs in my tenure as their caretaker. She was 15 when diagnosed. Anecdotal of course but consider the human issue with cancer...we have a lot more of it partially because we live long enough to get it...not so much the case 200 years ago when infant mortality, mothers dying childbirth and smallpox wiping out whole families. It may or may not be related to flea meds but if you think it is, move to one of the new oral med's.

That's the thing Udo; I don't think the oral meds are any better than the topical ones. I never considered the perspective that it is essentially poison until recently. We always gave it to our dogs cus it seemed like the right thing to do. There is something coursing through your dogs veins that will kill an insect from contact. How can we be confident there are no long term effects? I would not ingest it. I feel like I would find a tick in less time than those meds would kill them anyhow.

It would be speculative to say those meds caused the cancer in my dog. All I'm saying is it's worth considering that the cons potentially out-weigh the pros.

That's the thing Udo; I don't think the oral meds are any better than the topical ones. I never considered the perspective that it is essentially poison until recently. We always gave it to our dogs cus it seemed like the right thing to do. There is something coursing through your dogs veins that will kill an insect from contact. How can we be confident there are no long term effects? I would not ingest it. I feel like I would find a tick in less time than those meds would kill them anyhow.

It would be speculative to say those meds caused the cancer in my dog. All I'm saying is it's worth considering that the cons potentially out-weigh the pros.
The oral med I used destroyed the reproductive cycle of the fleas as did the topical I used for the longest time. None of the ones I have used killed adult fleas.

Part of the reason we went down this path was that the popular "spot" treatment when we started was toxic to cats. We found this out almost too late when our cat that often groomed one of the dogs had a seizure. When asking our vet if they were related he did not think so...but internet research proved otherwise.

Anyone use Victor GF Active Dog and Puppy? We're using that for now and it seems well received. At 8.5 weeks he's eating about 1.5c a day, split into four feedings. We're planning on following the as much as they can eat in 20 minutes then take it away for the first few months.

We switched over to the raw diet after we had our German Shepard for about a year. Almost immediately she stopped smelling like corn chips, her coat looked healthier, and wasn't consistently itching. In the five years we've had her the only time fleas were bad was wen she was eating kibble. Last summer we noticed fleas so we started combing her more often and used a herbal flea dip. As far as using flea meds we will use them as a last resort. After switching up her diet I've had no need for flea meds. I don't take antibiotics just because I have a cold, why give my dog meds she doesn't need. Now if the bath and combing routine stops working then I'll consider commerical meds. I'm not anti meds just don't believe in treating a problem that isn't there.

We switched over to the raw diet after we had our German Shepard for about a year. Almost immediately she stopped smelling like corn chips, her coat looked healthier, and wasn't consistently itching. In the five years we've had her the only time fleas were bad was wen she was eating kibble. Last summer we noticed fleas so we started combing her more often and used a herbal flea dip. As far as using flea meds we will use them as a last resort. After switching up her diet I've had no need for flea meds. I don't take antibiotics just because I have a cold, why give my dog meds she doesn't need. Now if the bath and combing routine stops working then I'll consider commerical meds. I'm not anti meds just don't believe in treating a problem that isn't there.

We feed raw to our to GSD's as well. We have done raw diet for about 15 years.
What we spend in food, we don't spend at the vets. Healthier dogs, soft coats, no smell, no bad breathe.
Our new puppy had no problem going from puppy chow the breeder fed to raw.

We have no issues with fleas - add some black walnut hull, garlic and vitamin B to their food. Skip the dip. Not a flea in our house in years and years.

Ticks are another matter - We use a vinegar and lemon peel spray. It helps a quite a bit. We also check daily. We are loathe to use frontline or others.

We have no issues with fleas - add some black walnut hull, garlic and vitamin B to their food. Skip the dip. Not a flea in our house in years and years.

Ticks are another matter - We use a vinegar and lemon peel spray. It helps a quite a bit. We also check daily. We are loathe to use frontline or others.

We skip half (garlic and vitamin B plus eucalyptus shampoo) that but since moving to Northwest Indiana, we have only needed to treat the yard and the neighbors yards.

Trust me when i say, the South is a whole different ballgame. First, the risk of Lyme disease is much, much higher. Second, the season is 9 months or more long. Third, the volume of critters that spread them is threefold while the damp, humid dark places are about 100 fold.

Not knocking anyone here, just experience.

I always heard that garlic was bad for dogs...

Just like onions leeks and shallots...garlic is toxic but the concentrations needed are much higher that I would ever consider. In my case, the oil is used as part of a topical preventative so the only risk is when the dogs groom each other.

I always heard that garlic was bad for dogs...

Any kind of onions can cause liver damage in dogs. At the very least, they get sick for a few days. Not uncommon for a dog to die after eating an onion. Even pulling up bulb flowers from the yard and eating them causes the same effect, because they are onions, too.

We might get to live aboard full time now...She got another one.:rolleyes:

IMG_1516.jpg

Finally holding still for a picture. His newest thing is toilet paper. He grabs the start of the roll and runs into the living room but he's being good today. Been buying collars from cosy critters too.

0228161156.jpg

We enjoyed the company of a Beagle about 10 years ago. One thing we still laugh about is when she got into some bread dough that was proofing. We kept looking at her wondering if we should go to the vets or if she was going to explode. She was miserable for awhile, but survived.

We enjoyed the company of a Beagle about 10 years ago. One thing we still laugh about is when she got into some bread dough that was proofing. We kept looking at her wondering if we should go to the vets or if she was going to explode. She was miserable for awhile, but survived.

Haha, Beagles seem to get into everything. To be honest I think they're really annoying sometimes, but great others. I suppose they just have lots of "character" :p

He does that pretty frequently. I don't understand why he does it on the hardwoods (he never does it on the couch or bed), and with a dog (even more so a shepherd)'s back, it would seem uncomfortable.

CanineSkeleton01.gif

MC

Almost all my dogs do/did it. I had one that slept like that but with his head hanging off the couch backward.

He does that pretty frequently. I don't understand why he does it on the hardwoods (he never does it on the couch or bed), and with a dog (even more so a shepherd)'s back, it would seem uncomfortable.

CanineSkeleton01.gif

MC

That's our sheltie's preferred sleep position too. Must be a shepherd-breed thing.

I had never seen it with any dog, now I have three that do it. Absolutely hysterical, but definitely a lot of trust there.

Ok, thought it was just me. Moogs is the strangest dog. We were told he was full dachshund, but looked like beagle mix, but then we started reading up on them, and think he just might be a 'standard' dachshund. Always had the vision of the itty bitty legged chocolate brown super long nose as a dachshund, but apparently not so much.
He cracks me up, if you dare touch a squeaky toy, he goes through this whole routine of rolling on it, rubbing his back across it, rubbing his nose on it. Almost like he has to re-claim it. lol

Back