Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup

image.jpg

Puppy checkin. At the end of 9 weeks, Scout is 13.2lbs, sleeps from 10:30ish to 7:00ish every night, and bites everything.

And plays a really bizarre game of fetch.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you remember/have records of his weight at any other point? Trying to get a handle on how quickly ours will pile on weight.

Not exact but he's honestly about doubled in size every month

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457355232.290098.jpg
1 month
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457355260.045005.jpg
At 2 months...he was about 15-20#

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1457355979.224070.jpg
About 3 months

And the last I posted is about 4 months
And I'm a little embarrassed I have so many pics of my dog on my phone

Not exact but he's honestly about doubled in size every month

And I'm a little embarrassed I have so many pics of my dog on my phone

Thanks. I've tons too.

Trying to get a handle of our pup but his dam was a 1st gen labradoodle and sire a full standard poodle so it's a bit of a crap shoot on sizing and where he'll end up as an adult.

At 5 weeks he was about 6lbs and at 9 weeks he was 13lbs so we're hitting the double in size pretty close.

There are only dogs, memes for the epic thread, food for the cooked this weekend thread and homebrew for the picture of your pint thread in my phone these days!

Came home this afternoon and had to put him outside because I was having a meeting in the house. Tovey decided to use his head as a battering ram to burst through the cat flap (left by the previous owners) so his head and neck were inside again.

Looked like a sporting trophy of a springer spaniel mounted on the back door! He won't do it again now for a pic.

Meh. We're dog lovers. Got a few on mine. They're great critters, except when they're a$$holes. Lol

The only videos on my phone are of the pack playing. Watching a full-sized St Bernard outmaneuver a Border Collie/French Terrier mix less than half his size is something that has to be memorialized. Or watching the same giant dog hurdle her almost equally large Collie/Great Pyr mix sister (120 vs 98 #'s) when the Pyr tries to cut her off.

Oh, and the Saint Bernard in question is supposed to have minor hip dysplasia (with xrays to prove it).

Puppy was doing so well for almost two months, now she started doing her solid business in the house. I can take her out, run her and let her play for an hour. As soon as I let her in, she runs to a corner and craps. I'm about to lose my mind. Everyone keeps telling me, she's just a puppy.. I get that.. but she was in the habit of going to the back door and asking to go out. We're back at square one..

Puppy was doing so well for almost two months, now she started doing her solid business in the house. I can take her out, run her and let her play for an hour. As soon as I let her in, she runs to a corner and craps. I'm about to lose my mind. Everyone keeps telling me, she's just a puppy.. I get that.. but she was in the habit of going to the back door and asking to go out. We're back at square one..

My latest one did that for a while. I could take him out, or go on a long walk and then he would come in the house and piss or crap under the dining room table. I just watched him like a hawk for a while and caught him setting up to go a couple of times, scooped him up and took him outside. Also got in the habit of making him sit by the door before taking him out. Now when he want to go out he sits by the door. Have not had an issue for about 6 months.

Puppies can try your patience. Keep at it and he will learn.

Puppies can try your patience. Keep at it and he will learn.

Its unbelievably frustrating. The few hours I get at home now I have to constantly watch her. She never really got to the point of listening to commands yet, unless I was getting her to sit/shake/lay down for food... or when I yelled at her to come. Now, aside from accidents coming back in the house, if I try to get her to come inside she'll run away and lay down in the yard.

She's completely ignoring everything we've worked towards and being horrible. Love her to death but it might be time to find a daycare or something. They are just so brutally expensive.

Have you crate trained her?

That helps too. I put them in the crate when I leave for longer stretches. Then after a while it becomes a safe place for them. My younger dog still gets put in the crate when no one is home for longer stretches. My older dog has not been closed in her crate for years but still goes in there as a place to sleep.

Have you crate trained her?

Yeah, she sleeps in the crate at night and is in the crate while we are at work. She doesn't even have accidents in that any more. She will hold it until we get home and go outside for #1 and right in for #2. I understood when it was below 0 temps outside but now it is beautiful. It's uncalled for. Hopefully it will pass.

I'd like her to be good so we can let her have free range of the house all day.

Mine is eating everything. We swapped his hard cage/crate in the kitchen for his soft car carrier about two weeks ago because it fits him and the kitchen better. No problem for two weeks - come home today at lunch and he's eaten a whole in the side of it! Now as I write this he's lying at my feet with his favourite squeaky chew toy under his front paw whilst he gnaws at the carpet instead. [emoji36]

Mine is eating everything. We swapped his hard cage/crate in the kitchen for his soft car carrier about two weeks ago because it fits him and the kitchen better. No problem for two weeks - come home today at lunch and he's eaten a whole in the side of it! Now as I write this he's lying at my feet with his favourite squeaky chew toy under his front paw whilst he gnaws at the carpet instead. [emoji36]

That's our girl.. same way. So frustrating dude.

It will pass. One of my dogs loved chewing anything plastic. She ate two TV remotes. I tried kicking her to see if I could change the channel that way. I did not work. JK

The other one loved chewing textiles. Ate throw pillows from the sofa, blankets and towels, everything. She even ate a big chunk out of the upper neck area of a real nice Goretex rain jacket.

Now neither of them chew on stuff that they are not supposed to. It took some time but the do eventually get over it. Keep plenty of toys around for them to chew on.

One day we'll look back on this and laugh. Until then he's walking a fine line between adored pet and winning a place on a culinary exchange program to Pyongyang. Lol

He's actually doing really well on everything except the eating stuff. He's responding to commands, toilets well (occasional gift on the floor in the morning- but otherwise excellent)

I have him booked in for gun-pup training in a few months- even if I never get to work him in the field, I think he'll enjoy the stimulation and challenge.

I remember, back in the day, my brother parked his motorcycle too close to our chained up Lab of about 1-2 years. She ate the seat and chewed up his helmet that was hanging from the lock.

We bred her once, ended up "stuck" with one of the puppies. He liked to chew up furniture.

Not "chew on", but chew "up".

Yes, most do grow out of it. Still...

:D

Yeah, I have never had a senior adopted dog with a chewing issue so I would say MOST grow out if. The exception was a 2/3'rds scale Irish Setter (no idea her actual breed). Until the day she passed I was no longer able to have a feather pillow. Something about a latent fowl prey drive.

We've a lot of wild rabbits around our place and the damn things hop all over at night, when you CAN'T shoot them.

The Landshark has taken to running around the yard to find, and eat, their piles from the previous night. Ignores food after being crated all night to go out and eat rabbit crap.

And then tries to lick everyone on the face!

We've a lot of wild rabbits around our place and the damn things hop all over at night, when you CAN'T shoot them.

The Landshark has taken to running around the yard to find, and eat, their piles from the previous night. Ignores food after being crated all night to go out and eat rabbit crap.

And then tries to lick everyone on the face!

Not to be alarmist...I know it can be hard to totally stop them from doing it, but be careful. Our sheltie got a tapeworm from eating rabbit poop (the vet called it "doggie caviar") from the backyard.

He had been lethargic, losing weight, and having bloody dumps for a few days. We took him in to get checked out and the vet asked if we had a rabbit. We don't, but we get a lot of them in our yard. He said the dog had picked up a worm commonly carried by rabbits. It cost nearly $1500 to get him dewormed and back to normal. The things we do for our pets... :eek:

Not to be alarmist...I know it can be hard to totally stop them from doing it, but be careful. Our sheltie got a tapeworm from eating rabbit poop (the vet called it "doggie caviar") from the backyard.

He had been lethargic, losing weight, and having bloody dumps for a few days. We took him in to get checked out and the vet asked if we had a rabbit. We don't, but we get a lot of them in our yard. He said the dog had picked up a worm commonly carried by rabbits. It cost nearly $1500 to get him dewormed and back to normal. The things we do for our pets... :eek:

Well, I'm off to Farm and Fleet for some box traps.

I got in this afternoon to discover the hell hound had decided to deconstruct his bed cushion and was frolicking in a faux winter wonderland. This is an old pillow of mine he had since the night he came home to us to try and settle him with my scent.

I told the girls what he'd done and the 10 year old says " oh maybe he was looking for carrots"

"Ok you got me - why carrots sweetie?"

"That's the pillow I normally hide them under for him"

DOH!

Yeah, I have never had a senior adopted dog with a chewing issue so I would say MOST grow out if. The exception was a 2/3'rds scale Irish Setter (no idea her actual breed). Until the day she passed I was no longer able to have a feather pillow. Something about a latent fowl prey drive.

I had a couple of dogs that had the latent foul prey drive. Phewie!

both Monday and Tuesday night we step outside to take the Howdy for his evening walk and right there in the front yard is this rabbit.

the hound takes off after it, stopping short when he gets to the end of the 20 foot leash

two nights in a row, same rabbit, same spot

both Monday and Tuesday night we step outside to take the Howdy for his evening walk and right there in the front yard is this rabbit.

the hound takes off after it, stopping short when he gets to the end of the 20 foot leash

two nights in a row, same rabbit, same spot

Look like this?

funny-gif-bugs-bunny-bathroom-stall-1.gif

Rabbits are the curse of dog owners. I cannot open my windows more than a few inches because if the dogs see a rabbit in the yard they will shred the screen to try to get at the rabbit.

Then when in the yard they eat the pellets AKA breath mints.

the Howdy already has 2 bunny trophies

1 was just a little guy, no bigger than my fist. dog dug up a hole the mommy rabbit had dug to stash her babies. 3 got away, 1 didn't.

sorry, but Darwin says if you bury your young'uns in a beagle's yard, your species is better off without you passing along your genetics

other one was full-sized. no idea how he bagged that one, but he brought it up on the deck and was proud as hell

Back