Does the Bayou Classic Stainless Steel Spigot Need A Heat Shield?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayFrae

Homebrew Enthusiast
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just put these valves on my HLT and Kettle.

When having a spigot on your kettle do you need to fashion some sort of heat shield so the gaskets don't melt? I know that they are high temperature silicone but are they high enough to not use a shield?

Does everyone that has weldless spigots use heat shields?

I am brewing tomorrow with valves on the HLT and Kettle for the first time, I have just been siphoning until now.

Last edited by a moderator:
How close are the gaskets to the heat source? I've never had an issue. In fact after I added a spigot I didn't have a high temp silicone o-ring and just a regular one. It wasn't until almost a year later that I got around to adding a high temp silicone o-ring.

Ok, I won't worry about it too much. I don't know how hot it will get but the gaskets aren't even visible, they are recessed into the nuts. Thanks!

my bayou classic kettles came with the heat shield? I dont use them because I brew with electric but I plan on finding a use for them elswhere.

I bought my kettle without the valve, and bought a weldless bulkhead and 3pc valve from Bargain Fittings. I installed about 1.5" up from the floor of the kettle, and no worries on the valve assembly getting too hot, least not with my 50k BTU burner. With a 200k BTU or higher, it might be an issue... <shrug>

Latest posts

Back