Does long boiling cause hop flavor to be lost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcLight

Reaction score
Many recipes call for flavor hops to be added at 15 minutes.
Why not 60 minutes?

Will 60 minutes of boiling cause most of the flavor to dissipate?
I know it will drive off the aromatic compounds, and it will add more bitterness, but for this question I want to focus on flavor.

If I add the 15 minute addition at 60 minutes, aside from increased bitterness, will there be less flavor?

Bitterness is a flavor, it won't taste like it's "supposed to". Also, hold your nose next time you eat something and you will notice there will be almost no flavor; aroma is a big part of flavor.

Google (or Bing) "hop utilization chart", it'll show you what, out of bitterness/flavor/and aroma, will be most accentuated during the boil. It blew my mind and changed the way I brew. Basically, the longer it boils, the less flavor and aroma you'll get and the more bitterness you'll get. 60 minutes will give you no flavor and aroma, but 20 and under gives you a lot, which is why the hop bomb is the bees knees in IPAs (at least West Coast IPAs, or as I call the, the right IPAs :)

I would consider "bitterness" to be more of a "sensation" than a true flavor, but I suppose that's arguable.

To answer your question, aromatics are the most volatile and are the first to be boiled off, then the flavor compounds. The chart below shouldn't be taken literally wrt the absolute timing, but it gives an idea of where extraction and then attenuation occur for aromatics and flavor compounds, and finally extraction of bittering compounds...

Cheers!

hop_utilization.jpg

day_trippr, that's the chart that came to mind. It paints a very good picture, and it's helpful to see it in a chart.

day_trippr said:
Agreed - "1000 words" and all that :) I have it on this system but it took a few minutes to dig it up...

Cheers! :mug:

Well bless you for doing it. Im on a mobile device and am admittedly feeling too lazy right now to do that leg work :) Plus Fringe is on, so yeah...

The chart is great, thank you all for the responses.

I'm curious about something - first wort hopping was originally done with late addition hops. (some people now do it with late addition hops). But wouldn't their flavor be lost after 60 minutes of boil? Or does the hot steep while the wort is being collected change them so they don't lose their flavor when boiled?

Latest posts

Back