Do I really need a secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have three gallons of port in the primary right now. (6 gal) And it's been there for 8 days, I need to move to the next step but don't have a 3 gallon carboy available and won't until this weekend. Can I continue to the next step in my primary?

Well hell, I can't find my instructions. But essentially (from memory) adding the F-pack (more sugar) and a few other things. What I'm worried about is having the extra room in my primary since it's in a 6 gallon bucket so I don't want to spoil it. It was a very expensive kit.

Barkingfrog, I have to apologize, I'm a beer brewer and have never made wine or port, so I'm unqualified to help you. I just clicked on your thread from the "new posts" links trying to help but didn't realize you'd posted in the wine forum. If the kit is expensive, I'd leave it be until the business opens tomorrow and get a new set of instructions and ask your question then. GL.

It will spoil if you don't put it in a smaller secondary. Once fermentation is done there cannot be but an inch or so of head space.
You need to get a smaller carboy (3 gallon) or 3 one gallon carboys to eliminate head space. You will need bungs and air locks too.

Barking, you said you'll have a 3 gal carboy open this weekend? - Don't sweat it, just transfer it over when you can. Its not like the yeast in suspension is going to suddenly go nuclear over that extra few days.

Back