Do hops degrade during a long shipping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nava854

Reaction score
Despite the current post-brexit scene, I have recently made the questionable decision of ordering hops from the UK to the EU.
Unsurprisingly, the parcel is stuck at customs since Friday and I have been told it remain like this until it gets checked by a customs inspector, which won’t happen until next Friday at the soonest. Great.

So, I am kinda worried about the hops quality taking a hit. They will be in a warehouse in southern Spain and it’ll get over 35 C this week.

I found a couple of old threads discussing hop degradation while sitting at room temperature, and the takeaway was that temperature is not as important as oxygen exposure.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/how-well-do-hops-survive-shipping.430322/https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/how-well-do-hops-keep-at-room-temp.105865/Does this still hold true?

As I see it, this is not the end of the world and the hops will probably turn out all right, but I wanted to hear from you guys what you think.

hops should be vacuum sealed. It will be fine. refrigerate when you store them. I buy 1lb bags and keep them in mason jars. They last a long time that way. Well long enough for me to use them.

I wonder this myself. I try to plan my mail order hops for the winter months. I recently added a few bags of hops to a Midwest Supply order. It took about 3 or 4 days to get to my place during a very warm spell. To torture me, FedEx send me a "your package is in your neighborhood" message, so I would watch the truck's location on the map for the next 8 hours. The box was very warm when it finally got delivered. (The IPA cold crashing now was made with those hops.)

I have heard that cold storage is quite important to hop storage. On the other hand, before we get them, hop cones grow outside for months in hot weather and the videos I have seen of hop processing looks like it is mostly done in warm open warehouses. I hope that a week or so at warm temps for packaged hops does not have impact...though I am sure it does not help either.

Back